Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Replace engine

Old 07-29-2024, 03:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace engine

I want to get rid of my 3.6 L and get something stronger or what can be done to soup up the original engine. It just doesn't have enough juice to pull up hill in 6th gear. Pulls ok on flat roadways and of course downhill.50,000 Miles on 2008 JK x four doors. Ideas about replacement? Or am I crazy? I'm running 31 x 10.5 tires and it's just a slug at almost any incline.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 398 Likes on 373 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum. See you are CA resident.. Before swapping out the engine check CA emission regs/laws.. What gears do you have? If stock going up to 4.10s might be a less costly proposition. BTW the 2008 had a 3.8L and yes it is under powered compared to 3.6; but it is good solid engine.
Old 07-29-2024, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bad.

I did miss that on the engine size.
I believe that the gears are stock, so I'll check out the gear thing.
I had done some research several years ago and that totally slipped my mind.
I'll revisit this option. Thanks for the info.
​​​
Old 07-30-2024, 04:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the 2008 had the 3.8? I could be wrong. Anyway, I wouldn't expect to go uphill in 6th gear, that is overdrive if I'm not mistaken. 5th or even 4th is more suitable for uphill (and passing)
Old 07-30-2024, 08:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

yes, you have an underpowered 3.8L, and that life just is what it is. Forced induction is not really a good alternative. You'll just wear that engine faster and the added HP for that 3.8L with the superchargers really isn't even that much extra, especially for the $$$$$$. Proper gearing will help, but it isn't going to feel like you gained horse power. LS or hemi swap is the only real solution, and even those will have their own issues, including draining your wallet. This is just part of "jeep life" unfortunately.

The 3.6L was a nice improvement, but it sure isn't perfect either and when you weigh the jeep down with all the goodies and add big tires even that will turn a JK into a fat pig.
The following users liked this post:
IIQII (08-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Replace engine