Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Repairing tears in a soft top.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repairing tears in a soft top.

Someone ripped a nice size tear into my soft top ) 07' wrangler. Is there something out there that I can use to repair it. The tear is about 30 inches or so wide spanning from the driver to the passenger side. Any suggestions other than buying a new top?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Walmart sells a canvas strip that you can Iron-on. I dont know how long it is. Then I used fabric sealer on the edge to keep from unraveling. Good luck
Old 04-01-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Default canvas strips

The canvas strips will be in the fabric section at Walmart. It worked great on my hail tear.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I will definitely try that.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are specific vinyl repair patches. Those are the ones to use. Do not sew the patched in place that will just make things worse. Honestly, at 30 inches, even a patch is only a temporary fix. You will need a new canvas eventually.

FYI - I have a Kaki colored spare canvas I would be willing to part with. It's in great shape. I thought it was black when I bought it off E-bay as a spare. Since I have a Rescue Green JK the Kaki just won't go. $150 + Shipping.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try some of the camping trailer supply sites. Camping World might be a good try. Pop-ups use a "canvas like" material. Camping trailer stores sell quality repair kits that should work on a Jeep soft top too.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! Have you checked with your insurance agent? I asked mine about this early on and he said my comprehensive rider covers the top, side, and rear panels. You might be pleasantly surprised. Good luck with it. In the meantime...black duct tape both sides! Take care... Mike
Old 04-07-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

duct tape in inside....
Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I had a small 1/8 " hole in mine and took it to a shop that specializes in soft top repair. They told me never sew it and to use a vinyl repair patch. They told me that holes and tears are like cancer and all they can do is slow down the progression of the issue. Eventually the patch will fail and the hole will spread and I will need a new canvas. I kept my eyes open and bought a spare canvas off eBay for $150 for when the time comes. At 30" there is no way to repair the top in a log term way that's just too much damage to contain in any permanent way.

Quick Reply: Repairing tears in a soft top.