Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing the Rear Spare to make JKU into a truck?

Old 02-01-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Rear Spare to make JKU into a truck?

I'm curious if anyone has done something like this. I'd like to be able to haul the occasional piece of plywood or two, or similar long boards, and that wheel back there just messes with my ability to let things hang out. I'm wondering if anyone that's done the spare delete is using their Jeep like this or if the 4x8 sheet will still not hang out in a workable fashion. Anyone?
Old 02-01-2016, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

This may be what you're after.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-260855/page2/
Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

I do like the look of that, though what I really want is a way to keep my spare back there but be able to remove it and the brake light for the occasional haul but have it be temporary.

In either case, if someone has done this... I wonder how truck-like it becomes for the purpose of hauling long boards.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tell us if you find something. I could never figure it out. Lumber is easy, even 10 foot conduit and pipe. For sheet goods, I don't think it would be easy. That's why I got a 4x8 utility trailer.

Quick Reply: Removing the Rear Spare to make JKU into a truck?