Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing hard top...installing soft top...

Old 05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing hard top...installing soft top...

Definitely not a one person job....although being the stubborn ass that I am, I decided to make it a one person job.

I live in a condo...so I couldn't rig up a pully system in the underground parking...realising I had no other option, I decided to just lift the top off by myself. I slid it back until I was underneath it...then I straight arm'd it off (holding the top straight up in the air)...and then squated (see 'fall onto my ass') and crawled out the raised rear window...

I then proceeded to install the soft top via the owners manual for the very first time...including mounting the arms to the rollcage as the previous owner had removed them (what a jackass he was). First time the soft top has been used (still in boxes, etc) and holy shit was it stiff...I literally had to hang off the rear 'sail panels' to get them to go into body latches...

Total time 4 hours...with a quick dinner brake.

I must make mention that during my removal of the top I took 3 or 4 trys and a dozen people in my building must have either walked or driven by...not one offering to help...

I am now exhausted and am having a tough time moving either of my arms do to shoulder exhaustion...

But I am now ready for the sun...

Goodnight.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds a lot like my experience swapping out the tops.

I was by myself and had to remove the hard top the same way you did, lifting it off, setting it down, and crawling out from underneath. That part was fine, but after that I needed help lifting it up and moving it to its final storage spot. Putting it back on will probably be a two person job.

I also ended up hanging off the rear sails, though it was pretty cool out and it was the first time the soft top had been unrolled. It's a lot easier to work with now that it's had a little time to stretch out

It's too bad that nobody offered to give you a hand, it's sad but most people just aren't like that these days

All in all, enjoy the soft top. I've only had mine on for around a month, and I've only had it down twice but I love it. As soon as the weather improves a little more I'm sure it'll be down almost constantly, and I'm sure yours will be as well
Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JN_Rubicon
Definitely not a one person job....although being the stubborn ass that I am, I decided to make it a one person job.

I live in a condo...so I couldn't rig up a pully system in the underground parking...realising I had no other option, I decided to just lift the top off by myself. I slid it back until I was underneath it...then I straight arm'd it off (holding the top straight up in the air)...and then squated (see 'fall onto my ass') and crawled out the raised rear window...

I then proceeded to install the soft top via the owners manual for the very first time...including mounting the arms to the rollcage as the previous owner had removed them (what a jackass he was). First time the soft top has been used (still in boxes, etc) and holy shit was it stiff...I literally had to hang off the rear 'sail panels' to get them to go into body latches...

I must make mention that during my removal of the top I took 3 or 4 trys and a dozen people in my building must have either walked or driven by...not one offering to help...

I am now exhausted and am having a tough time moving either of my arms do to shoulder exhaustion...

Goodnight.
Where are you storing your Hardtop if you only have underground parking? Without help or a hoist that must have been a bear!!!! Don't worry I spent about 3 hours removing the hardtop and getting on the Softop the first time....of course I happened to pick not such a warm day and it was a Bear to twist the softop into the channels!!!!

However, good news the softop gets easier as it stretches from the elements. Also, try to pick a warmer day to do it as well and have the top sit in the sun for a few minutes to warm up this will make it easier to stretch and twist into the channels.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Goodnight.
So much for me braggin to the girlfriend that I got the freedom panels off all by myself!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulewhisperer
So much for me braggin to the girlfriend that I got the freedom panels off all by myself!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Where are you storing your Hardtop if you only have underground parking?
Right now the hardtop is in front of the jeep in the parking stall waiting for someone to steal it. Matter of fact, I am not even sure if it made it through the night. I will go check right now.

I have a storage locker that it will be in today, I just couldn't carry it by myself.

Thanks for the tip regarding the warmer weather, but I live in Canada.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip regarding the warmer weather, but I live in Canada.

Same here....about 6 hours east of Vancouver, BC in the Selkirk Mountian Range - Revelstoke, BC......BTW welcome to the forum

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 05-06-2009 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Removing hard top...installing soft top...