Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing doors

Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 PM
LSM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing doors

I want to take the doors off my JKU but I've never done it before. How hard is it to do and does it mess up the paint around the hinges?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not hard at all. just make sure you have the right size star driver bit. take the nuts out make sure to dis conect the cable from below the glove box and dash. take the retention straps off. You might have to move the doors back and forth the first time you take them off if they are stiff. Have some one help you the first time to for the extra strength. Lift straight up out of the pin holes. and lift by the bottom I saw a guy try to lift by the door handle and it didn't work so well. I am sure more people will give you better instructions than I can. good luck and enjoy.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

A few tips if you like running doorless. First get a good dark or light (depending on paint color) grease to lube the hinges once you remove the doors. Will make them much easier to remove a second time. Second don't reinstall the bolts that hold the doors on the hinge. Gravity is more than enough to keep the door on and if you lock the doors they can't be stolen. Third roll down the windows before removing. It will give you a way to grab the door and protect the glass. Fourth fold the side mirrors in as well before removing. Finally park facing uphill to remove the doors. I've you take off the strap that keeps them from opening all the way they can slam open and hit the front hood giving you a nice dent! That's all I can think of right now!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are tall enough, roll the windows down, stand on the outside of the door with it open about 90° to take the door off. This will let you reach in to the inside door handle and grab the window frame at the same time. It also lets you see the hinges better. Not sure what I will do after a lift but I bet it will be similar but with a step of some sort.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HeyBob
A few tips if you like running doorless. First get a good dark or light (depending on paint color) grease to lube the hinges once you remove the doors. Will make them much easier to remove a second time. Second don't reinstall the bolts that hold the doors on the hinge. Gravity is more than enough to keep the door on and if you lock the doors they can't be stolen. Third roll down the windows before removing. It will give you a way to grab the door and protect the glass. Fourth fold the side mirrors in as well before removing. Finally park facing uphill to remove the doors. I've you take off the strap that keeps them from opening all the way they can slam open and hit the front hood giving you a nice dent! That's all I can think of right now!
Originally Posted by pbeabout
If you are tall enough, roll the windows down, stand on the outside of the door with it open about 90° to take the door off. This will let you reach in to the inside door handle and grab the window frame at the same time. It also lets you see the hinges better. Not sure what I will do after a lift but I bet it will be similar but with a step of some sort.
Both of these are awesome recommendations!!

I have a couple of padded hooks setup on the wall that i hang the doors on while they're off aswell (through the open window)
Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Post

pics when you're done friend.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
IF the JK is brand new you shouldn't have to grease the hinges. My 07 I had to, and then even ended up using a hilift to get them off. However I took the doors off for the first time yesterday (got the JK 02/14/12), and the doors more or less came right out. Just lift and slowly swing them side to side. Having the windows down prior to disconnecting the plug makes them a bit easier to handle (and get back on).
Definitely have the windows down... Makes a huge difference

Quick Reply: Removing doors