Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

remote start

Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went aftermarket yesterday and it was a mistake. have the dealership do it if its fsctory,
remote start cost me $100, $150 for install then a bypass cost me $65. at the end of it I'm $310 and i went cheap. Viper refurbished alarm/remote start anf bypass on ebay. $150 was chesp to indtall from where i looked and it took them 8 hours to do...and have to carry another keyfob in addition to my jeep big ass key and wife's car key. I think the factory can be out on ur existing key.
my shop had all kinda of problems and my remote start alarm is confusing as hell.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

While going to the dealer is usually sound advice-- I've had an aftermarket in my JK for a while and recently 1 put in the wife's car. No issues with either. They were done at two different aftermarket shops. My uncle, on the other hand, bought a brand new truck and had a chain electronic store install an autostart..sucker caught on fire a while later. Definitely do your homework. It's entirely up to you though.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:34 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
DO NOT GO AFTERMARKET! I had one put on my Silverado at a local well known shop. It ended up causing problem after problem with my entire electrical system. Driving home at midnight the entire truck would shut off all lights randomly. Go to the dealer, it'll be warrantied and save you hassle in the long run if you have any problems.
X2
Heard the same story from a lot of people over the years. Always really weird symptoms or ghost battery drainage.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im going factory. I dont want any problems creeping up. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Newbie

You'll love it, it's been a lifesaver this winter.

Rich
Old 02-17-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Odin43
You'll love it, it's been a lifesaver this winter.

Rich
dropping it off tonight should be done by noon tomorrow. thanks everyone for the advice/stories. my thinking that the money saved by aftermarket doesnt justify any problems with the jeep or dealership trying to get out of a little warranty work. looking around i figured $300 for a cheap one installed and id still have those goofy key fobs to carryaround. for an extra $180 ill go factory. its not the "use my cellphone to start the jeep while im in tahiti" type of starter(very cool) but ill have two more useable keys/no problems integrating my factory alarm and locks/no crappy key fobs and 100% of my warranty will be in tact and no worries if an electrical problem arises. thats a lot of "peace of mind" for $180....... thank you everyone for the help! thats why this forum is great all the help from everyone...........
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Default Remote start

Any jeep can have remote start added to the factory remote if you go to any viper dealer. Look on the dealer locators on Viper - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Window Tint | Window Film | Vehicle Security | Keyless Entry | Telematics | GPS | Remote Start | Find Your Next Car Alarm or Remote Starter. There is new technology where they use a t-harness and a module called dball it's a 30 minute install. It will allow you to remote start by pressing the lock button on your key 3X . You can also add the smartstart module so you can now lock, unlock, remote start and track your jeep from your iPhone or android phone. Check it out. Hands down the best investment. Everything is factory operated and I have a cool app to start my car from my phone from anywhere I am. The app can be downloaded for free in the AppStore . Search for smartstart or viper. If you all have any questions let me know here to help
Old 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got it installed and the jeep is back home. Everything turned out great. All i had to do was disable the annoying horn beep when it started. Very cool,easy,clean and nice. Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great that it worked out for you! I was leaning to do the same thing, and now will.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

We got one installed on our 2012. Great addition.

Quick Reply: remote start