Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

relocating the stickers on the door jam

Old 05-19-2007, 02:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gjeepguy
its not illegal to remove the mattress tags... it is illegal for the dealer to remove it before they sell/deliver it to you.
I know, that was a joke.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:14 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:
its not illegal to remove the mattress tags... it is illegal for the dealer to remove it before they sell/deliver it to you.

Originally Posted by BJeepJK
I know, that was a joke.

Oh thank god!

i spent all weekend cowering in the basement thinking i was gonna go to prison and risk being someones "special friend". I can unbolt the steel plate from my backside and venture out now.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Quote:

Oh thank god!

i spent all weekend cowering in the basement thinking i was gonna go to prison and risk being someones "special friend". I can unbolt the steel plate from my backside and venture out now.
Dude you are not right.
I am not certian but I think the stickers on a vehicle are required much like those on a boat. I know for a fact the DNR and especially coast guard gets upset when they get scratched, worn and faded beyond the ability to read. i would think it the same with the stickers especially since they are all in a standard location on almost any vehicle. I will research this in the morning if I can recall to.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe you guys should have gotten the two door. I have the two door and the stickers are on the door like they should be, but my friend’s 4 door has them on them on the jam.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:49 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

*L* "...You are not right" <---if i had a dime for everytime...

I would have a shitload of dimes.

I worked in a body shop for several years back in college doing prepwork for painting & collision repair.
What i can say with utter certainty is the stickers got sanded off right right along with the paint.

Where they replaced? Hell no.
Was that legal? i have no clue.
Did the insurance adjusters & inspectors ever say they needed to go back? No.
Did the state trooper and county sheriff cars we worked on ask for them? No.
Where we ever questioned about it? No.
By anyone? Never.

I have no clue if removing a decal is against some little law on someones books, I suppose there probably are laws against it somewhere.

My answer is, check around, ask a cop, i dont know. It's your Jeep.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

The JK service manual has info about the stickers about why they are there but doesn't explain if they have to be there.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

i dont know for a fact, but if they need to see the stickers... you can pull them out of the glove box and they can match the VIN on the stick to the 1 out of 100 places it is located on your vehicle.

Removing or tampering with a VIN is illegal... but i dont think they could make removing the stickers illegal. I am pretty sure the stickers are for quick reference for dealers and repair shops (paint color code, engine, tire pressure, tire size, etc.) More of a convenience that a requirement.

Besides, what would keep someone from putting a different sticker on the door or doorjam to hide the ID of a vehicle.... if it was a legal issue, one would think that it would be riveted, bolted, or engraved like the VIN plates are... not just stuck on.

Good luck though! i am takin mine off!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

No where did I find that having the stickers is required. I never even thought about this till yesterday and now I have looked at my jeep several times and thought those have got to go. Maybe I will break out the hair dryer and see if I can get them off someday soon but it is low on the list of things to do around here.

Quick Reply: relocating the stickers on the door jam