Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

relationship between MPG and Gear Ratio

Old 01-20-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relationship between MPG and Gear Ratio

My JK is 4 door, 6 speed manual, 3.73 gear ratio

With stock 30 inch street tire, I got mileage around 15mpg
Now I am running 35 inch Goodyear MTR tire, mileage drops to merely 11-12 mpg

Planning to regear to either 4.88 or 5.13
Can anybody tell me what mpg will I expect?

If the MPG difference for 4.88 and 5.13 is not that big, I would still prefer 5.13.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
Did you recalibrate your computer for the new tire size? That will affect your Speedo and MPG readings as well
No I did not, but I know the exact distance I travel each day. So I calculated my
MPG based on this knowledge of distance, instead of reading the odometer
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wolfmanii
My JK is 4 door, 6 speed manual, 3.73 gear ratio

With stock 30 inch street tire, I got mileage around 15mpg
Now I am running 35 inch Goodyear MTR tire, mileage drops to merely 11-12 mpg

Planning to regear to either 4.88 or 5.13
Can anybody tell me what mpg will I expect?

If the MPG difference for 4.88 and 5.13 is not that big, I would still prefer 5.13.
how long have u been running your 35's with the 3.73 gears? I want to put on 35's this winter but was afraid of running the larger tires with the smaller gears. u running auto or stick? what diff have u noticed in day to day driving with your 35's

how do you find they run run compared to your stockers?
thanks

any pics???
Old 01-20-2011, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

No I did not, but I know the exact distance I travel each day. So I calculated my
MPG based on this knowledge of distance, instead of reading the odometer
I have 35's and am recalibrated and still get 11-13 mpg and have 5:13's. I am getting ready to go to 37's and I am sure the mpg will go down again. MPG is not a big thing to me but bigger tires mean less MPG and that's OK with me.... Good Luck
Old 01-20-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steel Rain
I have 35's and am recalibrated and still get 11-13 mpg and have 5:13's. I am getting ready to go to 37's and I am sure the mpg will go down again. MPG is not a big thing to me but bigger tires mean less MPG and that's OK with me.... Good Luck
wow, 5.13 and you still get only 11-13 mpg.

I just wonder if it is caused by ethanol in gas. My friend has a stock JK in Canada
and he claimed he gets 18 mpg local easily. But my identical stock JK can only get
15mpg. I wonder it is because Canada do not add ethanol to gas?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Ethanol does drop the gas mileage. E85 is about 105 octane, but unless you have a turbo all it will do is eat your fuel lines and gaskets. And without subsides it costs much more than gasoline. But the jeep is a "flying brick," so I am more worried about the fuel lines than mileage.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mirewolf
Ethanol does drop the gas mileage. E85 is about 105 octane, but unless you have a turbo all it will do is eat your fuel lines and gaskets. And without subsides it costs much more than gasoline. But the jeep is a "flying brick," so I am more worried about the fuel lines than mileage.
I forget what it's called but there is a fuel additive... Kinda like a sea foam to help with the ethanol... When ethanol sits in the tank motionless it settles... This is bad... Burns up a lot of 2 stroke motors in snowmobiles. It cant be good for our JK's either...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NH-JK
I forget what it's called but there is a fuel additive... Kinda like a sea foam to help with the ethanol... When ethanol sits in the tank motionless it settles... This is bad... Burns up a lot of 2 stroke motors in snowmobiles. It cant be good for our JK's either...
I have used Seafoam in some other vehicles I have had. It can grab water out of the tank but it is mostly to clean carbon deposits out of the engine.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, 5.13 and you still get only 11-13 mpg.

I just wonder if it is caused by ethanol in gas. My friend has a stock JK in Canada
and he claimed he gets 18 mpg local easily. But my identical stock JK can only get
15mpg. I wonder it is because Canada do not add ethanol to gas?
I have a stock '09 Rubicon with the stock tires, so 4.10 gearing and 32" BFG KM1's. I have gotten 14-16 MPG since it was new.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

It's sounds like your right foot might need a recalibration. MPG's are more related to the driver than each detail of the drivetrain. with that being said 10% ethanol in you gas will lower your mpgs, I've noticed 1 mpg loss. AT tires also took about 1 mpg away and the recent cold weather took yet another mpg. E10 gas, as it's officially known as isn't a bad product. It burns CLEANER than 87 octane and saves us from sending 10% more money to the Middle East. Don't run that 105 octane E85 in a jeep, it's not made for it. E10 will varnish the fuel system if left sitting for more than 60 days. So no need for seafoam unless you are doing some sitting.

Quick Reply: relationship between MPG and Gear Ratio