Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Recovery

Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bennyhana
Check out what they call a "transit cluster" it fit's in the little holes in the frame or unibody. they work pretty sweet on vehicles that don't have recovory points if you can find a spot to put them. Although they are not for use with a dynamic recovery ie: snatch strap and a tug. Work fine with winching.
When a small car is stuck in deep snow, it's very hard (sometime impossible) to find the transit cluster
Old 12-19-2009, 08:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
When a small car is stuck in deep snow, it's very hard (sometime impossible) to find the transit cluster
Yep. Ram I pulled out of the snow today was a base model with nothing up front to grab onto. Could have went on the crossmember but it would require me pulling from at least 30' (deep snow). Ended up going from the back and sliding his truck around...
Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Definitely, if at all possible, let them hook up themselves. Sometimes that's just not practical (75-year old lady that slid into the ditch, for example). Regardless, also just want to add to pay attention to what happens when the strap tightens up during the pull. I've had folks want to hook up in such a manner that it would damage their front air dams/trim pieces. Sometimes that's just impossible to get around, but you should at least discuss it with the person you're recovering.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On trucks I like to wrap a strap around the axle if there is no hooks. Cars can be a real pain usually lower control arms

Quick Reply: Recovery