Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Recommendations on purchsing JKU model year 07, 08, or 09???

Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every year of the JK since they came out has had their problems.From '07's til today,We have an '07 that has had a few problems but been a great jeep
Old 09-29-2013, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

I purchased my 09 JK when Chrysler went under.. They attached a lifetime drivetrain warranty for myself and whoever buys her down the road. For peace of mind, at the very least, this may be a deciding factor for some. Good hunting.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkinmond
I'd personally stay away from '07 as it's the first year of the JK - lots of kinks. I don't think your budget is enough for a pentastar year so I'd reco trying to find an '09 or something...
Really irks me when people hate so much on our 07's...I've had nothing but a great working machine for 5 yrs and have seen/heard horror stories coming from the 12's+. Kinks? Every model year has it's kinks hah

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

While some people have nothing but good things to say about early model JK's, some have nothing bad to say about them.

My '08 was great for the first year i owned it (bought in '10 with 32k miles). During the second year however, things started to go downhill. Started noticing a great amount of oil consumption (4 quarts in 2k miles), then my first gear started popping out, my e-brake snapped, then my rear main seal started leaking. Not to mention the horrible knock on a cold start-up. With only 68k on the clock it worried me so I got rid of it. I did mild trails, nothing that would cause these problems prematurely. I love Wranglers and actually thought about picking up a '12 for the interior and 3.6l pentastar goodness. Obviously checking for the bad heads.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrHooah04
Really irks me when people hate so much on our 07's...I've had nothing but a great working machine for 5 yrs and have seen/heard horror stories coming from the 12's+. Kinks? Every model year has it's kinks hah Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Don't get me wrong - I agree with you completely. I'm talking standard rule of thumb when purchasing anything with serious engineering behind it - it's typically best to stay away from the release model if you have a choice.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

By around '10 the oil consumption problems were history.

In '11 the JK got a new dash and interior upgrade. Also, the hardtop was made by a different supplier. Still leaks, but might be easier to fix.

'12 got a new engine and autobox. Whether you like the new engine better depends on whether you like relative simplicity or higher tech. Both engines work. The 5 speed autobox is a good deal if you don't mind the more complex engine.

If I were buying a used JK, low miles, no mods, and no evidence of off-road use would by my highest priorities. You want to be the first to use it for anything but mall crawling.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome feedback all the way around. I went to the dealership and was day-dreaming looking at the '13 and '14 models. The interior is so nice, I almost feel like it's too pretty to be a Jeep!!! HA...

I am not sure what I am going to do, but I am going to put my current ride on the market and see what I can get for it. I'll have about 10k to put down on something, so it's just a matter of seeing what is available once all of the pieces fall into place. If I can find a decent JKU with low mileage, I'll just finance the rest and make the most of it. If I can't find a JKU that fits my needs, I may just take what I have in cash and buy the best TJ that I can find and wait until I am done with graduate school and buy a new JKU. That may be the dumbest idea in the world, I just don't want to wait another 2 years on the outside looking in. I have the fever so bad, I am almost willing to make a stupid decision just so I can be back in a Jeep.

Thanks again for all of the feedback. It definitely gives me more to think about!

Oh, by the way, GEAUX SAINTS!!!! WHO DAT!!!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Buy whatever you want... year vs. miles vs. wear. There all Jeeps and that says it. Its a vehicle to mod and take stuff off. Bang stuff and get dirty. If you want a tried and true engine get a 06 straight 6. If your worried about interior comforts or door hinge rust or scratches or crazed plastic windows or a smooth ride - buy a honda. I have an 07 and really like it! My 01 had a better powertrain that never broke... but with JKs and all the computer controls you are gonna have issues somewhere... read the threads - every year has problems! I never expect perfection from a vehicle i take doors and top off, get rained on, get mud covered la la la... Buy the JK that makes you happy!!!

Quick Reply: Recommendations on purchsing JKU model year 07, 08, or 09???