Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Recall for breakline rubbing on wheel well

Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got that recall, laughed and threw it away, because I have already extended mine so they wont break when flexing. Then a few months went buy and I start getting phone calls from Chrysler Corp this recall must be taken care of now, my safety was is danger.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Finally got mine in for this recall. The recall isn't just for the lines and flex issues. The plastic fender comes down the well just above the brake line where it comes out over the frame. This plastic can cut into the line. Mine had no rubbing, so quick fix. Service manager said out of 100 or so they have replaced about 2.

Best part is I got the speedometer flashed finally!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got mine done two weeks ago. I talked to one of the managers when I took it in and asked him what they were going to do. He walked over to my jeep and showed me. Mine were not rubbing. They trimmed them about 3/4" and did a decent job. They also replaced the crappy little plastic retainer that pushes onto a threaded bolt with one that screws into that bolt now. I think that was the cause of the problem. Those plastic retainers would come loose or fall out and that would let the inner fender well sag and come into contact with the break lines. After I noticed that they were coming loose I made sure that I would push them up every so often so that the inner fender would not sag and make noise when I was at highway speeds. I started a thread a while back about that problem because I lost one not long after I got the jeep and could hear it rattling when on the highway.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK44M
They also replaced the crappy little plastic retainer that pushes onto a threaded bolt with one that screws into that bolt now. I think that was the cause of the problem. Those plastic retainers would come loose or fall out and that would let the inner fender well sag and come into contact with the break lines.
Thanks for mentioning this. I looked at the lines and their cuts after the service but didn't know about the retainer. I'll need to check mine.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jdk
Got that recall, laughed and threw it away, because I have already extended mine so they wont break when flexing. Then a few months went buy and I start getting phone calls from Chrysler Corp this recall must be taken care of now, my safety was is danger.
The part that they are repairing is not affected by extending your flexible brake lines. It's the solid tubing leading to the flexible brake lines that is in danger of damage. Take a look at your front wheel brake lines and see if you don't have indications (worn paint) where the inner fender liner is making contact with the hard brake line. I found it on the passenger side. Trimmed it back myself about 1/2-inch. Supposedly Chrysler will replace the hard brake line if the tubing shows any sign of worn paint, but mine was so slight I'm not really concerned. And the rubbing is now stopped.

Quick Reply: Recall for breakline rubbing on wheel well