Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rearend Swaying

Old 07-24-2020, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend Swaying

So I had an accident. I was fishtailing, big time, of course I way over corrected after swerving to prevent hitting someone in front of me, while doing 60 on the highway. When I say I swerving big time, I had the yellow and white paint on the outside wall of my tires.

My question is, when I am driving and there is a dip in the road, a bump, or I on an overpass that has a bump, my rearend dips to that side, that leads to bouncing side to side, depending on how fast I am going.

The shop I took it to put a new track bar on, so can I tell if it is the swaybar, swaybar disconnects, springs, or? The drivers side axle was also replaced.

Any ideas? Other threads I read were regarding the frontend. I also have no clanking noises or any other noise for that matter.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Bouncing sounds like your shocks are blown. I'd start there.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Got it. I will check them this weekend!
Old 07-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Your profile says Teraflex suspension, can you get some pictures of the rear end so we can determine too if you've got adequate length rear sway bars (or rear links installed at all)?.....though I think you'll see a big difference with shocks if it's bouncing. You can test that by jouncing the rear end while parked.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:20 PM
JK Newbie

I will get those tomorrow. It already had the lift. I’m going to put a 3.5” lift with in the next month, maybe sooner.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

More lift means more money and usually isn't a good answer unless you need it (37's+) or you're hell bent on having it look a certain way.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

You say you were in an accident, but you don't describe what happened unless the simple swerving was the accident. Did you get hit? Where and what kind of damage? Trying to figure out why the axle shaft was replaced. I can only guess maybe a bent flange on the end of the shaft. You've got an '07. What kind of control arms are in the rear? Are we talking 13+ year old factory arms/bushings? I'm wondering if you might have some bad control arm joints, or even a tweaked control arm that is coming into play as well. The bouncing definitely sounds more shock related, but that should be pretty easy to diagnose; however, the side to side motion has me a bit perplexed unless I'm just imagining your description differently in my head.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Additional info is really needed. Is you jeep stock now? If not, what has been done to it? What lift are you putting on? Be specific on the model. Teraflex 3.5 tells us nothing. Photos of your set up helps a lot.

Any vehicle with a track bar will have side to side movement when the suspension articulates. The steeper the angle of the track bar the more side to side movement you will get. The axle also moves front to back at the same time. The steeper the angle of the control arms the more axle shift you will get.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

My accident consisted of swerving to the point of looking into a car to looking at the median wall, once I ‘thought’ I was good, drove up onto the median wall, I was headed over the wall, something told me to give it gas and turn hard to the right. My front tire grabbed and on my way down I landed on the lower control arm bracket, obviously that was bent. When the rearend went up on the wall is when the rear axle got bent. The Anti-theft shut my jeep down, but I had enough momentum coming off the wall to get me the side of the road.
I got really lucky because 4 of 5 lanes were completely stopped, the lady in the outside lane was looking at everyone else, I guess trying to see what was going on. I got tagged at the passenger front door/fender (my fault), I was able to turn enough to keep from being hit head on.

A pic of my driver’s side wheels, that was the only cosmetic damage on that side.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Here are pics of the front and rear. It was stock when I got besides the Teraflex lift and shocks. Just before the accident, I put the Rubicon Express drag link and track bar on. I put the tie rod on when I got it back.
I changed my brakes, so I took a pic.

I am looking at the Rubicon Express 3.5” super-flex suspension lift. Or would a coil lift be a better option?

I do have a certain way I want it to look, I would like to put 37’s on at some point. I would also like to go out and play.

Quick Reply: Rearend Swaying