Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear Zipper tips and tricks

Old 06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Candle or canning wax (Gulf wax) will help it zip easier for about a month (or about 10 good zips) then needs to be reapplied. Here's a quick tip though... don't try to be crafty and leave a bar of wax in the storage area. It will melt and you'll be lubing your zipper with the carpet!!! Haha.

I have a problem getting the rear window started but after that she zips right up. I think mine isn't really aligned that great (factory defect maybe?) but I'm like the others... just hoping they'll bust so I can get tinted ones!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Back window zippers

I have had mine off numerous times. Difficult at first, but I have always used Armor-All on my jeep zippers to clean and make slippery. and now very easy whether the bar is tight or loose. Love the jeep.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I open the side window zipper and use my other hand on the inside of the zipper till I get past the first turn, then the rest is easy.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Not sure if this was addressed at my response, but to answer your question, you don't HAVE to slide the bar off the bottom of the back window... I just pop it out of the two plastic clips that secure it to the body, and go from there.
ditto.....
Old 06-08-2007, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

I think the rolling up of the window is adding a lot of curl in the window zipper. I have to take car to flatten it out along the way or it is hard to zip. I would keep it off too but in the NE the weather is up and down and there is no chance of just keeping it off for extending periods.

One related note, I got a hitch bike rack (discussed in other threads) and with it on I can't open the gate but an inch or two (the spare does not clear the bottom piece so I can't use the tilt down feature. But, what sucks is, with the rack on and not being able to open the gate enough, it makes it near impossible to zip down the rear window and get the bar back on - you can't open the gate enough to shut back on the rubber pieces of the bar. Can't win!
Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
JK Freak

I know this is an older post but came across it the other day and thought it might be helpful to some. After reading it I ran down to a local dive shop and picked up some ZIP Stick by DUI and WOW! I can't believe the difference. This zipper lube for dry suits does wonders.

I had just got back from Moab, where I was hanging on the zipper trying to get the window to zip around the corners. Now I can do it with just one finger.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Once you get to the point where the zipper is hard to move, grab the rear bow with your other hand and pull down/hang off it. This releases the tension in the top and the zipper moves really easy. I do this every time and it works great.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought a soft top for my JK and I'm waiting on the bow brackets to come in so I can put it on, so I guess I get to look forward to this issue.

Something that I thought of; What if you let the tail end of the jeep (including the rear window piece) sit in direct sun for about a half hour (even better on a hot day) so that it gets a bit more elastic and softer? Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zwvirtual
I just bought a soft top for my JK and I'm waiting on the bow brackets to come in so I can put it on, so I guess I get to look forward to this issue.

Something that I thought of; What if you let the tail end of the jeep (including the rear window piece) sit in direct sun for about a half hour (even better on a hot day) so that it gets a bit more elastic and softer? Any thoughts?
when the soft top gets warm it is a piece of cake to put up it is much more pliable. also, i have recently found that pulling the sail flaps toward the zipper, even if its only a 1/4 inch, really helps get that rear window on. the only real issue i have is around the corners anyway. but i am gonna definitely check out the scuba lube
Old 04-03-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by HEK
I found that an extra set of hands helps......
Exactly!

One pair to zip the damn thing up.
The other pair to hold our drinks so they won't spill.

Quick Reply: Rear Zipper tips and tricks