Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear Zipper tips and tricks

Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Zipper tips and tricks

So it's a given that the rear zipper corners can be a bear to zip up.
Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions to make this process any easier?

Maybe a special method or lube (OK that didn't come out right), but you know what I mean....
Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 PM
JK Junkie

Here's my secret method

Don't put in the tailgate seal bar that snaps into the plastic brackets on the back... also, take out the plastic clips (attached to the top itself) that go into the channels along the back of the body. This should give you enough slack to easily get the window zipping.

Once you've got the zipper about 1/3 of the way up, go ahead and put the bar back into the plastic brackets and refasten the plastic clips on the soft-top back into their slots against the back of the body. From there, you just muscle the zipper closed (if you get stuck along the way, undo a little of the zipper, and then reattempt to zip it, allowing the momentum to carry you through).

Oh, and by the way: It's a real PITA the first 2-3 times you do it, but after that it's child's play.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

dont you have slide the bar off??? do you just slide it back on from the othe side or is there a quick detach method i am missing?

yeah its a pain... but i just go use to it and it does loosen up significantly after repeated up and down
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jetsfan28
So it's a given that the rear zipper corners can be a bear to zip up.
Does anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions to make this process any easier?

Maybe a special method or lube (OK that didn't come out right), but you know what I mean....
I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I never had this much trouble with the TJ Zipper.

I've had mine unzipped and then zipped up at least 6-7 times and I'm still waiting for them to get broken in.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

I have mine on and off all the time, and its still not easy. It is by far the longest part of putting the top back up. I still haven't found something that makes it easier, but let me save you 7 dollars... the Mopar zipper lube does nothing unless you use it every single time.

I have also made peace with the fact that I will be destroying my rear window through standard use (scratches, divots, etc) and will need to repurchase in the window. Once I accepted that fact, I felt better about having to fight with it.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

Default Easiest tip...

I know I know - "what a smart a$$" - but seriously - the easiest tip is just to leave that back window off!

I just found out that you're actually supposed to leave it off (or roll it up) when using the sunrider version and to drop it completely - you need to have them off and stored to try to minimize the scratches.

I think the only time we'll use our back window now will be during towing behind the RV and during monsoons (all day or two of them).

Good luck - after installing and removing about 10 times so far in the past 2 months - while it has gotten a bit easier - that back window is definitely a large portion of the 8 minute process (~3 minutes)

Last edited by AZToad; 06-06-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

I must have a good one, mine is as easy to zip and unzip as a duffle bag zipper or any other zipper that curves.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 07JKX
dont you have slide the bar off??? do you just slide it back on from the othe side or is there a quick detach method i am missing?

yeah its a pain... but i just go use to it and it does loosen up significantly after repeated up and down
Not sure if this was addressed at my response, but to answer your question, you don't HAVE to slide the bar off the bottom of the back window... I just pop it out of the two plastic clips that secure it to the body, and go from there.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:46 AM
HEK
JK Freak

I found that an extra set of hands helps......
Old 06-07-2007, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Two tips from me:

First, I hit my zippers with a little silicone spray.

Second, when I put it on, I pull the driver's side corner out of the clips to give my self some working room and I slide the rear window along the tailgate bar to the left to bring it a little closer to the zipper start. Once it's about 1/3 of the way up, I slide it back tight to the right and re-attach the corner, then zip on around.

I agree with others that this is the hardest part of putting up the top. I have also found that it's getting easier as the top breaks in. As always, doing anything with the top when it is warm is much easier than when it is cold.

Quick Reply: Rear Zipper tips and tricks