Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear Storage ideas

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For now, I lock up a couple rubbermaid actionpackers. One for recovery gear and tools and another for emergency supplies (first-aid & survival). I used of set of 4 masterlocks that are keyed the same. I also run a heavy duty bicycle security cable from one lock to under the rear seat posts and back to another lock. Both actionpackers are held down with a ratchet strap to keep them secure while wheeling.

While this is not a perfect solution, it would take some effort to steal them and prevents an easy snatch. I do want some Tuffy products, but they are a little expensive, I have spent my money on other mods for now. My first purchase from Tuffy would be the rear security cage to mount on the floor and keep my action packers inside, but I should be able to have something fabricated for about half the cost.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on the action packers. I've got one (the 24qt?), I put it right behind the back seat, attached with 2x 9" bungies to the front-most rear anchors. It hasn't budged once.

I've got 2 cheapo locks locking the action packer itself, I need to get a little cable to lock it TO the jeep still
Old 10-17-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by noot
I've got 2 cheapo locks locking the action packer itself, I need to get a little cable to lock it TO the jeep still
I found two options for this. One is to find a thin enough bicycle cable (the ones with just plain loops on the ends) that will fit inside the lock with the packer. The other option I found is to buy a couple towing safety cables (the ones used to replace safety chains). The second option worked better for me due to the perfect length, I found them in the towing section at Sportsman's Wharehouse.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walker
For now, I lock up a couple rubbermaid actionpackers. One for recovery gear and tools and another for emergency supplies (first-aid & survival). I used of set of 4 masterlocks that are keyed the same. I also run a heavy duty bicycle security cable from one lock to under the rear seat posts and back to another lock. Both actionpackers are held down with a ratchet strap to keep them secure while wheeling.

While this is not a perfect solution, it would take some effort to steal them and prevents an easy snatch. I do want some Tuffy products, but they are a little expensive, I have spent my money on other mods for now. My first purchase from Tuffy would be the rear security cage to mount on the floor and keep my action packers inside, but I should be able to have something fabricated for about half the cost.

JC Whitney has the cage on sale for around $300.00 and 4wheelparts.com has it for a little more, like $350. That is the cheapest from Tuffy I could find.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default reply

I have a bike chain too in my jeep. I'm going to put the Tuffy storage cage on the floor in the trunk and lock my skis around the cage with my chain. That should stop a crook. Tuffy is good stuff.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkkat
Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Kat, you NEED an Unlimited.
I think she would still find its limit
Old 10-17-2008, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Here's mine, I use it for my work gear and when offroading I pack it full of recovery gear and other goodies.

Quick Reply: Rear Storage ideas