Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear seat cover removal on JKU

Old 12-29-2016, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear seat cover removal on JKU

I'm replacing my OEM seats with a leather Katzkin set. I got the front ones done fairly easily but now I'm on to the back and these seem to be a little more challenging. I'm going to try to leave the seats in place. Anybody done this?

The first noticeable issues...

Looks like the seat bottoms have bolts through the OEM covers. Is that correct?

Not sure how to dislodge the plastic trim for the collapse and fold down function.

Thanks in advance Jeeple.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

I've done this exact thing, and I recall the rears being even easier than the fronts even though you'd think otherwise. I can't recall exactly as it was a few years ago now, but there was nothing super tricky about the rears, and you do NOT need to remove or unbolt the seat from the body at all.

The cover should just slide out and around the plastic trim around the collapse lever.

I just ran out to look at mine, the covers for the bottom of the seat just wrap around, down and under, and clip in place easily.

If I recall, there is a little trick to get the headrest off the rear....and it's up in the headrest portion, not down in the seat portion. You need to remove the headrest to slide the cover for the back of the seat over and in to position. Then they simply zip and clip together.

Last edited by resharp001; 12-29-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:54 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Reference this thread -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-removal-6069/
Old 12-29-2016, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I've done this exact thing, and I recall the rears being even easier than the fronts even though you'd think otherwise. I can't recall exactly as it was a few years ago now, but there was nothing super tricky about the rears, and you do NOT need to remove or unbolt the seat from the body at all.

The cover should just slide out and around the plastic trim around the collapse lever.

I just ran out to look at mine, the covers for the bottom of the seat just wrap around, down and under, and clip in place easily.

If I recall, there is a little trick to get the headrest off the rear....and it's up in the headrest portion, not down in the seat portion. You need to remove the headrest to slide the cover for the back of the seat over and in to position. Then they simply zip and clip together.
THANKS!

Ok, so you can just stretch the cover around the trim pieces... great!

No bolts to unbolt?

I got the headrests off pretty easily. Why am I struggling with the easiest part?? Overthinking it?
Old 12-29-2016, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by landis76
THANKS!

Ok, so you can just stretch the cover around the trim pieces... great!

No bolts to unbolt?

I got the headrests off pretty easily. Why am I struggling with the easiest part?? Overthinking it?
You have me questioning it now.....just ran out and looked again. Maybe that part did clip off kinda loose. the hole lever doesn't come out but it's really tight there.....maybe that trim did unclip just enough to work the cover around it. I'll mess with mine for a minute and see if I can tell.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Yup, on the top of the seat, take a screwdriver and work from the side and it should pop right up. Sorry. the rest is smooth sailing! Post pics when done!

Here are pics for others' future reference. Push in with the screwdriver, and gently pry up.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20161229_202028.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	663710   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161229_202043.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	663711   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161229_202054.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	663712  

Last edited by resharp001; 12-30-2016 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yup, on the top of the seat, take a screwdriver and work from the side and it should pop right up. Sorry. the rest is smooth sailing! Post pics when done!

Here are pics for others' future reference.

Well got it off but broke it in the process. It just did not want to unclip. I'm hoping I can just buy another one from the dealership. I need wrap this thing up tomorrow morning because we hit the road for a long trip around noon. Any possibility you could PM me your number and I can ping you if I have another issue?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You have my number if you need it, although after you get that clip off it should be straightforward. When I bought my jeep I didn't think I'd care at all about leather seats. Just wasn't a big deal to me. It gold old cleaning dust off those cloth seats after wheelin trips, and my dog's white hair was a b_tch on those as well. About 2 years in I picked up some new katskinz for $415, and it was one of the best things I'd done....besides adding butt warmers.

Quick Reply: Rear seat cover removal on JKU