Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear Doors ...opinion wanted

Old 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Doors ...opinion wanted

OK..my Christmas list is being made...want your opinions...next summer will be my first with a 4 door...I will have a 6 yr old daughter in the back seat...I like to run with the doors off...so the question is...1) strap her in middle and run no doors..in a booster she'll be fine...2) tube doors..3) soft top half doors...my wifes nervous about the "no doors"...gemme your thoughts....sorry...didnt know how to create a poll....
Old 11-22-2010, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Coondog33
OK..my Christmas list is being made...want your opinions...next summer will be my first with a 4 door...I will have a 6 yr old daughter in the back seat...I like to run with the doors off...so the question is...1) strap her in middle and run no doors..in a booster she'll be fine...2) tube doors..3) soft top half doors...my wifes nervous about the "no doors"...gemme your thoughts....sorry...didnt know how to create a poll....
If my doors are off and I have my kids I don't get on the freeway. Just my 2c

By the way I have tube doors
Old 11-22-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Rugged ridge is coming out with their own half doors, not sure when. OR you could get some tube doors
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Junkie

My wife was nervous about no doors at first as well with the kids, but I run no doors at least 6 months out of the year and the kids are fine and love it. They are belted in and I'm a careful defensive driver.

She's almost no safer in the back with doors than she is without, regardless of the type of door. The only risk is in a colision, small debris could enter the cabin, which tube doors and even half doors would not really help with.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here most of the trails have lots of brush and stuff that likes to try and get into the Jeep. Up front with me that is ok but I wouldn't want stuff like that whipping into the rear and maybe hitting the kids. If you don't have stuff like that where you are then no doors is probably the way to go.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Get a real jeep get a 2 dr and problem solved! just kidding about the real jeep part just love to get some people going. But i have no problem with the doors off and people in the back of my 2 dr. oh yeah I don't have a back seat, thats why I don't have a problem. just being a smart arse. I am not sure that I would want youngsters in the back with the doors off, You may have to make a quick swerve sometime and kids could easily get tossed out of a seat belt. just my 2 cents. good luck. i'm sure you already know the answer or you wouldn't be asking the question,
Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

run all summer with the doors off and have no worries with my 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son in the back....they are both in boosters and buckled in tight. My daughter gets upset when i have to put the doors on. They are true Jeep Kids and love being on the highway topless and doorless.
just be a cautious and conscious driver and they will be fine.
My kids have been taught the importance of NEVER unlatching the seat belt unless they ask and understand that they will lose the "doorless priveledge" if they break this important rule.
Their friends think they have the coolest ride on earth...( they do ) and fight over who gets to sit in the middle for rides.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put my 4 year old son in the back seat in the middle with my doors off. He loves it except in the mornings when I take him to school since he freezes. I try to avoid interstate driving with him in there, but I do ride back roads.

I put him in the front passenger seat once on some back roads and I was a nervous wreck. He kept looking out the door saying, I can see the road, I can see the tires....He was loving it, but I felt like he was going to fall out!! Only done that once.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default you could just leave the rear doors on

I run with the fronts off all the time sicne they fit in the back. I can't imagine sliding in 4 doors in the back anyway and mess them up.

Honestly, is it worth the risk? but I a jeep instead of kids But, I don't know that you can trust they won't unbuckle. 1/2 doors? ya, good question of which I realize this will only come down to your own decision.

Anyway, I like the look with just the fronts off....until they are clean after wheel'n and that kinda looks a little strange. But it's a Jeep!!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Wow... I would be scared that she'd unhitch herself from the car seat to grab her doll and roll out during your right hand turn...

If you can go with half doors, do it! They are just a little insurance/assurrance that your little one doesn't hit the road. The middle seat position is a good place so you can see her in the rear view parental monitor.

Quick Reply: Rear Doors ...opinion wanted