Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear Diff corrosion issues...imput needed!

Old 07-11-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guybergeron
i have a 2007 more like a 2006 and a half and bought april 2008 so it was a showroom but was outside before i bought it. i did the rust protection and the black stuf they sugested me when i bought and i dont think it was a bad thing at all. just to expencive. i put 4 cans of rust protection like fluid film this winter on everithing. no spot of rust at all except driveshaft and front ... dont remember the name but it was not painted new anyway. i will put a lot of rust proofing this winter to.do rust proofing or buy at least some fluid film. its at canadian tire for me but dont know where in the states. super stuff and smells good to. i put a lot of it on the hinges on the hood doors and tailgate. a lot of it on the rockers and all the frame. i put almost half a can on the bracket that old the windshield. there is a lot of unprotected metal there. it is now floded with rust proofing
Ya fluid film is an amazing product.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine looked similar to yours a while back. i pulled them off to do a diff change, cleaned them up, sandeed the rust down and then hit them with duplicolor black engine enamel they still look fresh 25k+ miles later
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah man, mine looks close to yours but I'm good about rinsing off the under carriage as soon as I get home. If you're hitting the beach you have to at least rinse it off when you're home. Be sure to hit the brakes really well too as the sand will get up in there and wear things out pretty quickly. Especially your hand brake. Oh, and make Rustolium semigloss black your best friend
Old 07-11-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Killing Rust

Get yourself some of this stuff:
http://www.superior-industries.com/r...FU1M5Qod_0rxMA

When I worked on offshore production platforms, we used this stuff by the bucket load. Hit it with the paint of your choice afterwards. It works best if you knock the loose stuff off first with a wire brush.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff corrosion issues...imput needed!