Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rattle can or powder coat???

Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definatly bedline it with all the salt we get in NE some times even the powdercoat after a while will start to pit. IMO bedline it is the best way to go.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rkboyer911
Id go with powder or Line X....Now one thing to remember is...One day I was getting my truck bed line X'd and a guy brought in a bumper to have sprayed and the owner said he had to have the powder coat sandblasted off because the line X wouldn't stick to it.. So if you ever think u want to line x it i wouldn't powder coat it due to how hard it is to get off with a sandblaster. Good luck!
Removing the powder coat is a common
misconception. Typically places that say that do not do a lot of bumpers, rails etc. I've had my bumper, disco skid, rubi rails, ace rails, bumper hoop and light brackets line-Xed over powder coating. The shop did scuff the powder coat before spraying and all of the parts were off the jeep. Is bare metal better, yes. Is spraying of powder coat ok, yes. Just make sure they spray the entire item. Bedliner will peel if there is an edge. I live in north east Ohio in the suburbs were the roads are dry we use so much salt in the winter. I've wheeled in rocks and scrapped my bumpers skids and rails and the line-x is fine. Not to mention I you go with a name brand like line-x it is garuanteed for life with free touch up.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I rattle can everything. If your going to beat on it there is no point powdercoating.

Prep,prime, paint. You can remove and repaint or touch up when u want and save money as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Bedlined it, my buddy sandblasted my front bumper for me because the powder coat was chipping off and you could start to see rust , so he sandblasted it I took it home and used 3 cans of bedliner on it , I am happy the way it came out
Old 12-08-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Bedlined it, my buddy sandblasted my front bumper for me because the powder coat was chipping off and you could start to see rust , so he sandblasted it I took it home and used 3 cans of bedliner on it , I am happy the way it came out
Man that looks really good. What kind of liner did you use? Did you brush or spray it on?

My brand new Mopar bumpers have some rust already at the weld seams and they are stored in a heated building right now which really pissed me off considering I have $2000.00 in them. I called my Rhino dealer and they will not do them unless the powder coat is removed which they want $40.00 per hour to do and then want $250.00 to spray each bumper and $250 to spray my tire carrier. I don't think the powder coat would really need to be completely removed just scuffed down good and think it would actually act like a good primer/base for the liner to stick to. I think they are basically trying to ream me at those prices. I have had an 8' truck bed done for $500.00 which included the prep and all. With the way yours looks I may just have a DIY project ahead.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
Man that looks really good. What kind of liner did you use? Did you brush or spray it on?

My brand new Mopar bumpers have some rust already at the weld seams and they are stored in a heated building right now which really pissed me off considering I have $2000.00 in them. I called my Rhino dealer and they will not do them unless the powder coat is removed which they want $40.00 per hour to do and then want $250.00 to spray each bumper and $250 to spray my tire carrier. I don't think the powder coat would really need to be completely removed just scuffed down good and think it would actually act like a good primer/base for the liner to stick to. I think they are basically trying to ream me at those prices. I have had an 8' truck bed done for $500.00 which included the prep and all. With the way yours looks I may just have a DIY project ahead.
Dupicolor spray on bedliner , 10 dollars a can and thank you that was my thanksgiving project
Old 12-08-2011, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Beeline it. Inexpensive and easy touch up
Old 12-08-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Beeline it. Inexpensive and easy touch up
Is Beeline a new product???

Thanks everyone for the input. I will probably save the money and do it myself. Looks like that wil be easier to touch up and cheaper also!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jaker t5
Dupicolor spray on bedliner , 10 dollars a can and thank you that was my thanksgiving project
Your welcome man! It does look good! How many cans did you use?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by deathboyardee
Your welcome man! It does look good! How many cans did you use?
3 cans and a weekend

Quick Reply: Rattle can or powder coat???