Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rain... TOPLESS!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain... TOPLESS!

Bought my first new jeep last week. I woke up this mornin at 6am to the beautiful sound of RAIN, which we haven't heard in months here in Dallas, TX. I was reveling in the beautiful sound, when I realized my Jeep is Topless and Doorless. Ran outside in nothing but my slippers, grabbed the only thing that I prefer not to get wet (waterproof emergency bag).

Question is: How long does it take for seats to dry? And is there anything I might possibly be worried about?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the carpet and let it dry, pull the plugs and set up a fan to blow on the seats. It'll be fine. Just about every jeep that goes topless has suffered the same fate.

Congrats on the rain. I know you needed it.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

This happened to a buddy of mine this summer. He took out the carpets, pulled the plugs and just let it dry out. His radio acted a little funny for about 2 days, but seems to be fine now.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 AM
JK Freak

Man, don't you hate that? Talk about mixed emotions...it's like enjoying some delicious, creamy rocky road ice cream...then biting into a toenail clipping.

One minute you're savoring the chocolate and caramel, the next you're thinking, "I'm eating somebody's toe jam!"

Seriously, it'll be fine. Just towel it out, drain it and put a fan on it. Glad you got the rain, though.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:23 AM
JK Newbie

Ditto on pulling the carpet.......that's a must.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

I did the same thing to mine 4 days after I got it. I just pulled the carpet, pulled the plugs and towel dried the dash and console. I let it all dry for a couple hours, put it back together and everything was just like new.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Junkie

Default Thanks

Thanks y'all. I'll be pullin the carpet as soon as it stops raining tonight.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Pull the plugs for sure, I just leave mine out, as for the carpets I don't have time to pull them out every time I get caught in the rain, I just keep driving naked till they dry.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If the sun comes out, park it where it can shine on the seats. You will be surprised how fast they dry. As others have said, pull the carpet and the drain plugs. You will have to cut about 1" of carpet under the front drive and passenger seats. Its easy to see where. It looks like the factory machine stopped just short of cutting all the way through.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Just to the west of you and same fate here. But I'll gladly trade a soaked jeep for some much needed rain. Unless you got more than we did I wouldn't worry about pulling the plugs. I'll just take off the cover when the rain clears out and let it dry. Odds are we'll still be in the 100+ temps this afternoon so things should dry out nicely.

Quick Reply: Rain... TOPLESS!