Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Radius Arms versus 4 link

Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radius Arms versus 4 link

I got to see the difference this past weekend. There was a Grand Cherokee with radius arms, 33" MTs and a JK 'X' with the stock 4 link and Rubi tires, both had open diffs. The JK outflexed the Grand and thus was able to make it over the ledge. The Grand was constantly getting a tire in the air and thus lost traction. The X eventually pulled the Grand up the ledge. Even though they weren't identical vehicles, a case can be made.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by planman
I think the general consensus is that radius arms can handle better for high speed or on street performance, but that a 5 link (4 arms plus a trackbar) suspension will flex better offroad.

I do agree with both statements but I wouldnt exacty say your comparing apples to apples. I would say there is a big difference between the cherokee and JK. I run an RE 4.5 long arm kit and if you put me up against the exact same jeep with a 4 link I really dont think you would be able to tell a difference. I have wheeled with just about every kind of jeep/ suspension and I dont think there has ever been a trail I havent been able to do because Im running a radius arm. Just mt 2cents
Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting topic, I'd like to hear more on this from those running a radius arm
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Interesting topic, I'd like to hear more on this from those running a radius arm
There has been a few of these debates on this forum and it allways seems to get people fired up. The die hard R.E guys swear by there radius arms and the 4 link guys swear that radius arms dont flex. The R.E is a good kit that has a better than stock hwy ride, but doesnt flex as good as a 4 link kit. I have the R.E kit I love the ride and it takes me on any trail I want to go on. But I do have plans to remove the R.E. and go with TF 4 link and ORE coilovers.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Freak

The older Grand Cherokee (WJ and older) does not have the BLD feature that the Jk does. A "open" Jk will always have better traction than an "open" non Quadra-drive grand IMO.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe Lightfoot
There has been a few of these debates on this forum and it allways seems to get people fired up. The die hard R.E guys swear by there radius arms and the 4 link guys swear that radius arms dont flex. The R.E is a good kit that has a better than stock hwy ride, but doesnt flex as good as a 4 link kit. I have the R.E kit I love the ride and it takes me on any trail I want to go on. But I do have plans to remove the R.E. and go with TF 4 link and ORE coilovers.
You should get a RTI score. Then someone with a 4 link can get a RTI score. then we can compare. But, we'd still run into issues about differences in shocks, endlinks, tires, etc. I just wanted to state that I saw a radius arm that seemed like the flex was really limited compared to that of a JK with stock suspension. In my mind, I thought the Grand would easily conquer the ledge, and the JK would have troubles, but it was vice versa.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Lightfoot
hmmm, this is the first one I've caught. I have been curious about the radius arm...I know nothing of how they perform

Quick Reply: Radius Arms versus 4 link