Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: do you have one in your jk?
yes.
22.32%
no.
77.68%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

radar detector poll!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, Couldnt get it anyway live in Va.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a detector, but now that gas has gotten more expensive, and I got a speeding ticket I have slowed down and follow the speed limits, and I no longer have it in the vehicle.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

No point in them anyway. As a retired cop I can tell you that any cop who wants you will NEVER leave his radar on. It's instant on so once you know he's spotting you, you're done. Laser (used most of the time now) is also instant and you point it at the license plate then activate it and............ you got it............ you're caught. So no point really.

Just live by the credo....nine you're fine, ten you're mine. Keep it under the radar. Additionally, the police don't set the speed limits, traffic engineers do. Certainly not to glean revenue but to keep the roadways safe.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

That bites. The law allows for tickets but most cops can spend all day writing 15 & 20 over so why bother?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
Last year on my motorcycle on the way to work, I got stopped for 40mph in a 35mph- and to add insult to injury, it was a motorcycle cop that did it, and it was only 40-degrees outside so we were the only bikes on the road.
You probably had a nicer bike than his.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I understand. I would've probably been in my car that day.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
No point in them anyway. As a retired cop I can tell you that any cop who wants you will NEVER leave his radar on. It's instant on so once you know he's spotting you, you're done. Laser (used most of the time now) is also instant and you point it at the license plate then activate it and............ you got it............ you're caught. So no point really.

Just live by the credo....nine you're fine, ten you're mine. Keep it under the radar. Additionally, the police don't set the speed limits, traffic engineers do. Certainly not to glean revenue but to keep the roadways safe.
I actually disagree, I have used a detector for over 15 years ( always a Valentine1), and I have never gotten a ticket while it was on. First off all, a lot of cops leave it on, even though they have the option to aim at you and turn it on just when you are in range, as you already mentioned, most don't. I usually detect them as far as a few miles away (when the ground is flat, less if it's hilly). what make a good detector valuable is it's ability to detect a radar far enough that it is detecting a signal even when the cop turn it on and off and mine certainly do that.

I will add that I don't use it the city and in traffic, I will only speed when the traffic is very light to none on long trips.

Last edited by somewhereinla; 09-17-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

National training and operation standards require that the officer articulate that they could see you, estimate your speed at X then confirm with radar or laser.

If that supporting notation does not exist on the ticket notes, which you can get when you schedule yourself for trial, then you should be able to get it reduced at minimum or dropped. There is no training that allows for you to "fish" with your system hanging out there until it beep alerts you to a speeder.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 09-17-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Could be. But that's not protecting the highways from careless or reckless drivers, that's fishing for tickets. Bad cop, no .... well you know the rest.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Could be. But that's not protecting the highways from careless or reckless drivers, that's fishing for tickets. Bad cop, no .... well you know the rest.
Your radar detector is picking up the cop's radar signal when he's aiming it at the vehicles that are 500 or 1000 yards in front of you. If you're the only one on the road, you're screwed. Once your detector does off, it's too late. It means he was aiming at you and you're busted.

I don't have a radar detector, but I don't speed either. I would think it's best to be in the middle of 3 or 4 cars that are speeding. The front one will get busted and the back one will get pulled over since he's the tail. The middle ones get away with it (I would think - it's just a theory though).

Quick Reply: radar detector poll!