Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Quiter MT than KM2's

Old 11-15-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really liked the interco trxus MTs I had on my TJ and they were very quiet and an excellent tire. I've heard that the M16s are even quieter.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Of your choices I have heard alot of good about the Hankook M/T
One other choice may be the new Cooper S/T maxx similar to the Duratrac but 3ply instead of 2ply so it would be better in the desert.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

In case anyone was interested, I decided on the 285/70r17 Hankook Dynapro MT. I eliminated the Duratrac, because I wasn't sure the 2-ply sidewall and soft compound would hold up in the desert, and we always travel alone, so we need a tough tire. Also, both my husband and I have had some issues with three sets of Goodyear tires in the past. I eliminated the Mickey Thompson MTZ, because I felt that of the four tires I'd narrowed it down to, that it would probably be the loudest of the bunch, plus the price was almost $200 to $400 more for the set than the other choices. And I just wasn't sure about the Pro Comp Xtreme MT. It looked good, but the reviews were less than stellar, and I felt the price was high for a non-brand name tire.

So today we went to look at the Hankook MT's. They had a set in stock in my size. We did look at a Nitto Terra Grappler, since that was another tire they had in stock. What really sold us on buying there, was that they gave us a 30-day ride guarantee. So with no risk, we felt more comfortable trying a brand of tire that is completely new to us. Our first impression of the Hankook's is excellent. They are quiet and ride smooth. The Jeep rides like new again, and my old KM's only had 6K on them. So I think they will be great choice, but knowing we have 30 days to decide for sure is great.

I'll post up a pic later, as I can't seem to get Picassa to work for me at the moment.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

I think that you could run some steel tracks off a D8 bulldozer and even that would be quieter than KM2s.

I still can't figure out what on Earth BFGoodrich was thinking when they ditched the KM1, the greatest mud tire ever created.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WXman
I think that you could run some steel tracks off a D8 bulldozer and even that would be quieter than KM2s.

I still can't figure out what on Earth BFGoodrich was thinking when they ditched the KM1, the greatest mud tire ever created.
I have to agree with you on that! If the KM1's were still available, that probably would have been my choice.

Here is the pic of my Rubicon with the new wheels & tires:

Last edited by jckid; 11-23-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Quiter MT than KM2's