Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Quiter MT than KM2's

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all honesty, since the sensitivity of her condition is going to be an issue from just tire noise (the main concern here), I think you should go to an A/T tire. Any of the MT's are going to be loud..esp. if you get any uneven wear or chunking from wheeling once you get some miles on them. They get louder when either of those two things happen.

I'm not sure what type of terrain you run, but look at the ProComp Extreme AT. ..a little more aggressive than the bfg at, larger lugs than the BFG AT, but they are rounded/ not squared off like most MT's. I have ran the XAT on a couple of trucks and felt they were pretty quiet. I have ran the older BFG KM's, Toyo MT's, XMT's, and the older MTR's and they all got louder as they got more miles on them.

I would also start working on the inside DB level inside your rig also. Since it shounds like her condition is affected by just tire noise, other things may come into play also. Run the Hardtop, insulated pannels on the hardtop, Dynamat on the floors. This will all help with the other noises inside. I'm only assuming you will not be able to run without a top on the JK, so that's why I added these other opinions also. Good luck, hope these help.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JGP4JK
I have a buddy who swears by Toyo MT's. He sells tires and claims they are as quiet as an all terrain. Might look into them?
I have a few sets of these and they seem pretty quite.

Other than that look for an irregular shoulder lug. They (all of them) are quieter than something with a uniform lug.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TAIL RATED
I would also start working on the inside DB level inside your rig also. Since it shounds like her condition is affected by just tire noise, other things may come into play also. Run the Hardtop, insulated pannels on the hardtop, Dynamat on the floors. This will all help with the other noises inside. I'm only assuming you will not be able to run without a top on the JK, so that's why I added these other opinions also. Good luck, hope these help.
Funny you should mention that, because really the main issue is trying to keep total db's down. I'm thinking of getting the boom mat hard top kit to start, then probably do something to the floors. It's actually my husband that has the hearing damage. For any of you that shoot at indoor ranges, be sure to get the best protection you can. My husband thought he had enough, but the damage done has been life altering to say the least.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jckid
Funny you should mention that, because really the main issue is trying to keep total db's down. I'm thinking of getting the boom mat hard top kit to start, then probably do something to the floors. It's actually my husband that has the hearing damage. For any of you that shoot at indoor ranges, be sure to get the best protection you can. My husband thought he had enough, but the damage done has been life altering to say the least.
same "hear" pun intended. LOL. worked at a gun range for a few years/ 15 years back/ and mine are sensitive. fwiw, using fitted inner plugs is the way to go. still have them for when I bird hunt/ shoot..also put them in for on the motorcylce with helmet. Made a difference for my ears ringing....and those ear plugs are stil very comfortable but allow just enough sound in to not block everything out.

Good luck on the mods, please lmk what works for you and your husband by updating this thread or at least a PM down the road. THANKS!
Tim.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jckid
I know that BFG KM2's are considered to be quiet for a mud tire, but I have a friend that has them, and I need something quieter. They are noisier than my stock KM's, which are acceptible. My better half recently suffered permanent hearing damage and now has a condition where the ears are super sensitive to high frequency sounds. So are there any MT's out there that are quieter than KM2's, or will I have to settle for something less aggressive? I know that BFG AT's are a great tire (had them), but I don't like the look. I could go to a hybrid like GY Duratrac's, but I had a set of them on my LJ that were bad (out of round). I've read about a few ppl. having issues with the Duratrac's, but seems like 99% of ppl. have good results. Maybe my bad set was a fluke. We had Cooper's on our truck, and they were loud. KM2's seem to be a hum or whine...Coopers were like a roar on our truck. Anyway, I'm looking for a 285/70r17. Thoughts?

Quieter than a KM2? Based on my personal experience, this could be ANY MT on the market, with the exception of Super Swampers.

Those KM2s were loud as hell. Rough too. Won't touch one with a 30 foot pole again.

DuraTracs sure do get rave reviews, but I've never used them. My Mastercraft C/Ts (made by Cooper) are pretty quiet and dig like crazy offroad. I really enjoy them so far.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

I have 285 firestone destination mt's. Right now they're really quiet,even quieter than the bfg km's that came on it, but I've only had them about 2k miles. They're also really good off road and in the rain. Hope this helps a little
Old 10-31-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

My Toyo MT's are great for low noise. I've also heard good things about the MT/R's, and recently - exceptionally good things about the Interco Trxus MT's.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 AM
JK Newbie

I have the ProComp Xtreme MT's and they are extremely quite. I beleive the ProComps are actually manufactured by Cooper Tire.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I've ordered my wheels, so I'm getting close to a decision on tires. I don't want an all-terrain, and neither does my husband (despite his sensitivity to sound). So here's what we've narrowed it down to:

Main Choices:
- Pro Comp Xtreme MT
- Hancook Dynapro MT
- Mickey Thompson MTZ

Possible Alternative:
- Goodyear Duratrac

So of the 3 MT choices, which will ride the quietest on the highway? I've read comments that all are pretty quiet, but are they quieter than KM2's?

And should we even consider the Duratrac? We don't offroad a lot, but when we do, it's primarily in the California deserts--so, think ROCKS. Not sure the Duratrac it up to that. Thoughts?

And here's a list of tires that we've eliminated for various reasons:
- All-terrains (all brands except GY Duratrac)
- Toyo Open Country MT (too heavy)
- Nitto Trail Grappler (too heavy)
- BFG KM2 (too loud)
- Goodyear MTR (too many reports of balancing issues)
- Cooper Discoverer STT (had them, didn't like them)
- Anything from Firestone, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Kelly, Kumho, Dunlop
Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Out of your choices, I'd say the Mickey Thompson MTZ's. There's a reason they've been around for so long.

Quick Reply: Quiter MT than KM2's