Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Quiter MT than KM2's

Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiter MT than KM2's

I know that BFG KM2's are considered to be quiet for a mud tire, but I have a friend that has them, and I need something quieter. They are noisier than my stock KM's, which are acceptible. My better half recently suffered permanent hearing damage and now has a condition where the ears are super sensitive to high frequency sounds. So are there any MT's out there that are quieter than KM2's, or will I have to settle for something less aggressive? I know that BFG AT's are a great tire (had them), but I don't like the look. I could go to a hybrid like GY Duratrac's, but I had a set of them on my LJ that were bad (out of round). I've read about a few ppl. having issues with the Duratrac's, but seems like 99% of ppl. have good results. Maybe my bad set was a fluke. We had Cooper's on our truck, and they were loud. KM2's seem to be a hum or whine...Coopers were like a roar on our truck. Anyway, I'm looking for a 285/70r17. Thoughts?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a buddy who swears by Toyo MT's. He sells tires and claims they are as quiet as an all terrain. Might look into them?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a lot of it is going to be subjective. I think the KM2's are pretty quiet, but I also think my MTR/K's are pretty quiet.

I would see if anybody local to you has the different M/T's that you are interested in; and see if they will take you for a quick spin. I would maybe take a look at the Falken WildPeak A/T's. I hear they are a great off-road tire unless you are playing in the mud a lot......
Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsears
I think a lot of it is going to be subjective. I think the KM2's are pretty quiet, but I also think my MTR/K's are pretty quiet.

I would see if anybody local to you has the different M/T's that you are interested in; and see if they will take you for a quick spin. I would maybe take a look at the Falken WildPeak A/T's. I hear they are a great off-road tire unless you are playing in the mud a lot......
I saw the Falken's at my local tire shop. I can see why they would be quiet, and they looked better in person than the pics I"ve seen on here, but I still don't think I can go that route. They just kind of look like car tires.

Would you say your GY MTR's are quieter than the KM2's or louder?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a friend that had Nitto Trail Grapplers on his Truck that were really quiet. I'm not sure how they are after some wear though. My MT MTZs were pretty quiet until they got a good bit of wear on them. Does your friend rotate his KM2s regularly? That could have something to do with the loudness if not.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheKid25
I had a friend that had Nitto Trail Grapplers on his Truck that were really quiet. I'm not sure how they are after some wear though. My MT MTZs were pretty quiet until they got a good bit of wear on them. Does your friend rotate his KM2s regularly? That could have something to do with the loudness if not.
Actually they were new when I rode in it. I was surprised that his new KM2's were quite a bit louder than my KM's with 6,000 miles on them.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Default Cooper STT

My Cooper STT's are very similar to tread pattern to the Toyo MT and I think mine are quite. I have had a few mud terrains, most recently stock KM
's and the Coopers are the most quite MT I have ever owned.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Jedi

Nitto trail grapplers are the quietest MT I ahve ridden with. I was shocked how quiet the 35s I had were. but as you can see in my signature below, I am not running them. I was very disappointed in the tread life, very soft
Old 10-27-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
My Cooper STT's are very similar to tread pattern to the Toyo MT and I think mine are quite. I have had a few mud terrains, most recently stock KM
's and the Coopers are the most quite MT I have ever owned.
We had the Cooper STT's on our truck, and they were unbearably loud. We have BFG KM's on both the truck and Jeep (identical size). They seem to be a bit louder on the truck, so maybe a pickup somehow amplify's the sound differently. But the experience with the Cooper's on the truck kind of makes me shy away from them. Even the stereo wouldn't drown them out.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Are MT/R kevlars quiter than KM2's? What about Pro Comp Xtreme MT's? Or Mickey Thompson MTZ? The Nitto Trail Grappler's interested me, but I discovered they are load range E in 285/70r17, where most other brands are load range D. I'd rather stick with D's.

Quick Reply: Quiter MT than KM2's