Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

questions on how to use the sway bar / axle lock on a 2012 rubicon

Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so I just bought a 2012 unlimited rubicon. But I have a couple questions about some features that NO ONE AT TATE JEEP IN FREDERICK ,MD COULD NOT ANSWER WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR!. What is the sway bar, axle lock used for ? When would I use it ? And what does it do? I'm sorry I don't know this my old jest was a 2 door x with 4" lift and 37" toyo's and did not have those features..

Last edited by Johnny t; 07-10-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't know why did you buy it???
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fourtango
If you don't know why did you buy it???
You probs should have done some research.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Sway bar disconnect is to give you more articulation in your front suspension
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Come on guys, the OP asked for some guidance.

Disconnect the front sway bar to increase articulation for true off road trails (not forest roads). This is typically done in low range only and at speed less than 20mph. When switched off it will automatically connect/disconnect when cross over/under 20mph.

Engage lockers when needing maximum traction for short durations to get through tough obstacles, especially rocks, roots and slippery spots. First start with rear which will most likely do the trick and add front only for the most difficult places. It is very difficult to turn with front locked and is very hard on your u joints so it is best to engage front for when going pretty straight and only until you clear the obstacle. I personally try obstacles unlocked and if I can't clear them first lock rear and then if needed front; unless of course it is obvious to me the obstacle requires locking like for example big ledges in Moab.

Hope this helps.

Gary T.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Newbie

The axle lock will make the 2 rear and the 2 front wheels lock together and spin at the same speed. This gets interesting when climbing a hill that has a turn in it. The Rubicon gets harder to steer and tends to walk sideways. Placing the switch on the left was wrong. Makes the driver unable to shift while locking / unlocking the front as needed. Still the best daily driver / off road vehicle made on this Planet.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by blueice

Disconnect the front sway bar to increase articulation for true off road trails (not forest roads). This is typically done in low range only and at speed less than 20mph. When switched off it will automatically connect/disconnect when cross over/under 20mph.

Engage lockers when needing maximum traction for short durations to get through tough obstacles, especially rocks, roots and slippery spots. First start with rear which will most likely do the trick and add front only for the most difficult places. It is very difficult to turn with front locked and is very hard on your u joints so it is best to engage front for when going pretty straight and only until you clear the obstacle. I personally try obstacles unlocked and if I can't clear them first lock rear and then if needed front; unless of course it is obvious to me the obstacle requires locking like for example big ledges in Moab.

Hope this helps.

Gary T.
What he said and the manual should tell you all about how to and when to use them
Old 07-10-2012, 08:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Axle locks are just that you can lock front, rear or both for better traction. As far as when to use and not use there are many theories on that. Enough to write a book on you can google it, use it and get your own opinion on it is my suggestion. I have a rubi and love these features and use them all the time. Make damn near impossible to get stuck unless you get hung up on something.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blueice

Hope this helps.

Gary T.
Thanks for all the info man! it's good to know that there are still some nice people on this forum that can help you when you really need it.. UN LIKE TE OTHER TWO THAT TOOK THE TIME TO POST AND NOT HELP AT ALL..
Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKingAround
Axle locks are just that you can lock front, rear or both for better traction. As far as when to use and not use there are many theories on that. Enough to write a book on you can google it, use it and get your own opinion on it is my suggestion. I have a rubi and love these features and use them all the time. Make damn near impossible to get stuck unless you get hung up on something.
Thanks man..

Quick Reply: questions on how to use the sway bar / axle lock on a 2012 rubicon