Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Questions on getting Lifetime Jeep Warranty

Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions on getting Lifetime Jeep Warranty

I am being offered a lifetime warranty through Jeep Chrysler on my 2011 for $2200.

I told them about the lift and tires as well as the bumper and winch and he said that isn't a problem as long as it isn't excessive, 3" and above.

My questions are:

Is he right? In your experience does the warranty cover the Jeep with a lift and tires?

It is good at any Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge dealer and if one isn't close at any qualified shop in the nation. Right?

What won't this cover besides the actual tires, rims, winch, bumper, and lift kit components? Or are they covered as well?

Do I have to have any maintenance/service work done at a dealer or can it be any where and keep invoices as it says I must keep up the maintenance schedules?

What else should I know about this warranty as NO ONE ELSE would even talk to me as soon as I told them about the modifications?

Thanks. I have 2 days to make a choice of yes or no.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
I am being offered a lifetime warranty through Jeep Chrysler on my 2011 for $2200.

I told them about the lift and tires as well as the bumper and winch and he said that isn't a problem as long as it isn't excessive, 3" and above.

My questions are:

Is he right? In your experience does the warranty cover the Jeep with a lift and tires?

It is good at any Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge dealer and if one isn't close at any qualified shop in the nation. Right?

What won't this cover besides the actual tires, rims, winch, bumper, and lift kit components? Or are they covered as well?

Do I have to have any maintenance/service work done at a dealer or can it be any where and keep invoices as it says I must keep up the maintenance schedules?

What else should I know about this warranty as NO ONE ELSE would even talk to me as soon as I told them about the modifications?

Thanks. I have 2 days to make a choice of yes or no.
It all depends on the dealership yo go to, some dont care about lifts and will still do warranty work (on parts other than the lift you installed) whereas other dealers will see the lift and deny your warranty work. If i was you, i would get that in writing just to be safe incase you ever run into an issue

They wont cover any after market parts you install. Bumper, suspension components.ect but should still cover all stock components/parts on the Jeep. It is possible that if you go with larger tires, they can deny warranty work on the axle,ball joints ect as the larger tires do cause a bit more stress on the axle and steering components, but again it all depends on the dealership you go to

You can do your own maintenance, just make sure you keep ALL receipts and a log of what and when it was done.

I too also have the lifetime service contact warranty and have a 3.5" lift. My dealer doesnt seem to have any problems with my lift as they replaced all ball joints and tie rods recently after i noticed a bit of shaking in the front end

Last edited by Croce; 04-18-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the lifetime warranty...granted I got it for free (probably not technically free but I digress) when I bought the jeep new back in 2009.

My jeep is now lifted, new gears, ARB, 35's....and I have not traded it for a 2012 partly due to having this warranty. From reading and in my opinion, I think even with my mods, I should be covered on the engine and tranny for lifetime, and I plan on having this Jeep for a while. If I get only 1 engine and 1 transmission replaced I would ball park that at $10k in savings ...so is it worth the $2200... I would say yes...for me at least...

On a side note... my jeep has never been back to ANY dealer...and when the engine blows or tranny goes out, I Plan on throwing Stock Springs back on with some Stock Tires.... just to be on the safe side...from what I hear you need all the leverage you can get when dealing with DC...
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep warranty

agree with other poster get that in writing from the head guy at the dealer. my local dealer would not cover my front driveshaft when the boot tore,because i took it off road. keep in mind i bought it new from them with the lift and 35's that they installed
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by weebus
agree with other poster get that in writing from the head guy at the dealer. my local dealer would not cover my front driveshaft when the boot tore,because i took it off road. keep in mind i bought it new from them with the lift and 35's that they installed
If they sold the jeep to you lifted and the DS boot tore i would be BS if they didnt replace it under warranty. regardless of how it happened the dealer should of been aware of this issue before selling it to you and either fixed it or notified you before the sale.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of lifetime warranty are you considering? Is it powertrain, or bumper to bumper? Most 08-09 JK's have the lifetime powertrain warranty (which is what mine has) and we could purchase a corresponding bumper to bumper lifetime warranty for about $2200. Is yours everything for $2200?

So far as the powertrain warranty, all I have to do is get an inspection every 5 years to maintain my warranty. Mine was free, but I have sold/tossed/cut off most of my warranty items. all I have left is the engine/Tranny/T-case. Everything else is gone. My local dealer is very 4x4 friendly and they honor the warranty on those remaning parts without problems, even though I run 38's, 6" of lift and dual D60 axles. Since I have no dash lights and all my stock electronics work, they said I'm fine.

I didn't up for the bumper to bumper warranty becuase I have half doors and would replace anything else that broke on my own.

I'd provide a pic of your jeep when you obtain the warranty and ask them if they'd continue to support remaining parts, even if you replaced others with aftermarket items. If so, it's probably a good deal. That being said, I've had mine for over 4 years and not had any warranty claims.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when test driving some VW's a while back.. I asked the salesman how this place felt about mods... and he's reply was "Some dealerships care... we don't.. and we don't squeal on you because we want your business"
Old 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the bumper to bumper everything warranty.

I drive about 20-25K a year so a 100k warranty isn't as good.

I have a mod friendly dealer so I think I am going to do this.

I checked and there isn't anything in the small print that say modifications will void this warranty like several of the ones I was told to buy.

One of those from my Credit Union and they didn't know about that clause either. You may want to check your contract.

Thanks for the input all.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
This is the bumper to bumper everything warranty.

I drive about 20-25K a year so a 100k warranty isn't as good.

I have a mod friendly dealer so I think I am going to do this.

I checked and there isn't anything in the small print that say modifications will void this warranty like several of the ones I was told to buy.

One of those from my Credit Union and they didn't know about that clause either. You may want to check your contract.

Thanks for the input all.
I got the Chrysler lifetime when I bought my 2012 in February. I plan to keep my jeep for a very long time. One thing that surprised me is that the warranty will be cancelled if the repair cost exceeds the value of the jeep. Luckily the jeeps hold their value well.

Quick Reply: Questions on getting Lifetime Jeep Warranty