Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question about "street legal" laws while traveling cross country?

Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about "street legal" laws while traveling cross country?

Hey everybody my Jeep is registered in New Mexico and is "street legal" there. But because of the fenders and the fact that I don't have mud flaps and possibly a few other things I know in a few states technically it is not "street legal". So my question is since my Jeep is registered and legal there if I am traveling through a state or visiting a state where it is not can a cop give me a ticket for it or just a warning?

As you can see in the pics my fenders don't really cover up the tires as much as some states require. I would love nothing more then to take a trip to Pacific Beach and take the doors and roof off and cruise by the ocean... after a year in Afghanistan I can't really think of a whole lot more relaxing, but I guess if I have to i can take my truck... the drive would be a lot more quiet but not as fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120207_162550.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	321693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Naked.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	321694  
Old 05-26-2012, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I asked the same question a while back.. Got no answer.

I think you just need to be legal in the state you are registered. Equipment laws follow the vehicle not the states you travel through. From experience, I pass through three states that require full tire coverage which, like you, I don't have, and I haven't had any challenges.

Check with member McGuyver who has the same armor as you.. He might know.

BTW... Looks friggin awesome on a two door!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 AM
JK Newbie

You should be good. You might get pulled over and could get a ticket but you will be able to fight the ticket and win as long as the vehicle is legal in the state you live in. Just for shits you might want to look into having a copy of certain laws that show your vehicle would b legal just so you have proof.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In order to drive in any state your vehicle must comply with that state's laws. If it doesn't you can get a ticket and it does not matter where you are from or what the laws are there.

www.liftlaws.com has a pretty good state by state list of what is legal. That said, most cops won't pull over someone for fenders but if they pull you for something else they might add it to the list. Most states only require fenders for commercial vehicles.

During the motorcycle rally in Sturgis, SD you can watch cops bust people all day for tall handle bars. Doesn't matter what your registration says, if you drive in SD with bars higher than your shoulders they will ticket you and it must be fixed before you can ride it in SD again. crossing back into NV you must have a helmet on. You can ride most of the West without but you won't get far over the border without a ticket.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Ok cool thanks everybody for your help.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

I know for sure az and calif. Have that gay law. I wouldn't writer to much about it. Like someone said the most they would do is a ticket or warning, but I'm sure that can be fought being that your jeep is not registered there. I have a 3.5in lift and I work in az with the railroad but I live in great state of Tx and they've never bothered me there or ca. Just do your thing brother and thanks for your service.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know guys here in Ca who run the smittybilt fenders and have had zero problems with "the man"

Quick Reply: Question about "street legal" laws while traveling cross country?