Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Question about manual transmission

Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about manual transmission

So I'm planning my first weekend to take the new Jeep out for some off roading. As far as shifting, is it okay to shift, that is work the clutch pedal in and out, while the Jeep is submerged in mud or water? I think I've read in the past that it's not good for it due to water and/or mud getting into the tranny and causing issues.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Warwick2008
So I'm planning my first weekend to take the new Jeep out for some off roading. As far as shifting, is it okay to shift, that is work the clutch pedal in and out, while the Jeep is submerged in mud or water? I think I've read in the past that it's not good for it due to water and/or mud getting into the tranny and causing issues.
No, do not shift while submerged in mud/water. This debris will get into the clutch.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Super Freak

you can shift without the clutch in 4Lo (what you should be wheeling in anyway). Just turn the engine off without using the clutch, put the shifter in the desired gear without using the clutch, and fire the engine up (again, no clutch). Beware, the jeep will be moving when you start it then.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Just Enjoy

Just go and enjoy yourself. Get to know your Jeep before you get into something over your head. You will be amazed at what it is capable of. If running in 4 hi turn the esp off, it makes a different.

Quick Reply: Question about manual transmission