Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Pushing the D30- 38's? 40's? anyone?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are 35s bad for the D30?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bluesauce
I don't understand people who bitch about repetitive threads. How does this effect your life exactly?
Oh I don't know maybe because reading the same topics over and over again and reiterating the same answers that have been covered hundreds of times in various threads might just become a bit tedious and rather mundane after a while... but that's just me I guess. If you like to read the same shit over and over again then by all means don't let me stand in your way. .

And to the OP I say if you can paycheck out on a PR44 then go for it and the 40's should def hold up fine for the type of offroading that you do. If not I say sleeve it, gusset it, and chromoly and go from there. If you pick a light wheel and tire combination the D30 will probably hold up ok, or it might crap out on you but that's the risk all of us take I guess. And if I came off like a dick I apologize (long day at work I guess) I'll be in that boat very soon and am going to see how far I can push the D30 before it craps out. As other have already said its basically a matter of time that's all.

Last edited by fadeout; 06-14-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love these threads...d30 on 37s 0n 40s crap why not run 42s on your dana 30,if you have ever actually pulled your axle apart you would understand why everyone says its such a bad idea...yah im sure you wheeled the crap out of moab but fire roads don't count...every one says only buy american so why not do things the american way...build your rig correctly,axles ect,for the tire size you plan to run and then run that size tire instead of trying to convince yourself and others who actually know better that your set up works...it doesn't...sorry but that really is just the truth of the matter.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Show some photos!

I gotta say, if you are wheeling that rig on the trails you have listed in a few of the other threads like the "we don't need no stinking lockers" thread, let's shut these boys up, including myself post up some photos brother!

Originally Posted by Mulewhisperer
Poughkeepsie Gulch, Gemini Bridges, Poison Spider, Klondike Bluffs, Fins-n-Things, Steel Bender, Sevenmile Rim, Metal Masher, Hell's Revenge and LOCKER FREE since 08'. *
Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2
I gotta say, if you are wheeling that rig on the trails you have listed in a few of the other threads like the "we don't need no stinking lockers" thread, let's shut these boys up, including myself post up some photos brother!
now you did it - he's gonna shut you up

Last edited by wayoflife; 06-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman

35s are just fine on a JK D30.
Cool Thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
Oh I don't know maybe because reading the same topics over and over again and reiterating the same answers that have been covered hundreds of times in various threads might just become a bit tedious and rather mundane after a while... but that's just me I guess. If you like to read the same shit over and over again then by all means don't let me stand in your way. .

And to the OP I say if you can paycheck out on a PR44 then go for it and the 40's should def hold up fine for the type of offroading that you do. If not I say sleeve it, gusset it, and chromoly and go from there. If you pick a light wheel and tire combination the D30 will probably hold up ok, or it might crap out on you but that's the risk all of us take I guess. And if I came off like a dick I apologize (long day at work I guess) I'll be in that boat very soon and am going to see how far I can push the D30 before it craps out. As other have already said its basically a matter of time that's all.
I agree. I am more of a forum "reader" vs. a forum "poster". In my personal searches it can be frustrating when the "will 33's fit my stock JK" and the occasional threads about grab handles pop up. But, I hope to cross paths with you and others some day out on a trail and would hate for a previous post of mine in haste leave a mark. I appreciate your follow up post. A lot of good information on here that sometimes requires some digging hence this post looking for someone who may have actually put 38's/40's on a their D30.

Originally Posted by nvertflyer
i love these threads...d30 on 37s 0n 40s crap why not run 42s on your dana 30,if you have ever actually pulled your axle apart you would understand why everyone says its such a bad idea...yah im sure you wheeled the crap out of moab but fire roads don't count...every one says only buy american so why not do things the american way...build your rig correctly,axles ect,for the tire size you plan to run and then run that size tire instead of trying to convince yourself and others who actually know better that your set up works...it doesn't...sorry but that really is just the truth of the matter.
Are you saying Moab wheeling is equal to fire roads? Non the less, that is our destination choice when we travel as we love the trails, scenery, and Jeep people we have met on the trips. Again, we take 1-2 trips west and the rest is DD for this Wrangler. I am convinced that my current setup works for our needs. It may be a ticking bomb, but its been ticking for 3 years strong and still going. Im not saying it wont happen, but it hasnt for the last three years of ownership. As far as me not doing things the "american way", you are correct. Our house is within our means, I do not buy parts for the Jeep on credit, and I do not over spend. I do let the wife super size her value meal on her birthday though! Maybe I will mount the 40's and give it a roll and some feedback of my driving style and terrain. If and when it blows up in my face you will have the honor and first dibs of the "I told you so".

Originally Posted by GCM 2
My wife snaps a few pictures. In the beginning she got out at the obstacles. Now she is getting more brave and riding out a few of them. I pulled a couple off of her facebook.
Click image for larger version

Name:	27712_10150162834020062_5823769_n.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	329628Click image for larger version

Name:	29648_10150165351435062_7097428_n.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	329629Click image for larger version

Name:	27712_10150162833580062_1645738_n.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	329630
She wont ride Hell's Gate with me but she has no problem doing handstands on ledges.
Click image for larger version

Name:	27712_10150162833665062_5835744_n.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	329631

Originally Posted by wayoflife
now you did it - he's gonna shut you up
Not what I am trying to do. I am not claiming to know it all, or a little. Just sharing my experiences with what appears to be a common thread as of lately. I, unfortunately, do not have the luxury of mountains in my backyard. We hit it a couple times a year and enjoy our Wrangler as a DD in Iowa. I could of spent the money upgrading to a 44 but thought I would give it a try and have been successful. Now that we are considering another step up, seeking those who may have done so that has similiar use of road/trail.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

I don't have the exp to comment on you questions, but nice photos!
Old 06-16-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mulewhisperer
My wife snaps a few pictures. In the beginning she got out at the obstacles. Now she is getting more brave and riding out a few of them. I pulled a couple off of her facebook
Thanks for posting those, the proof exist!

Quick Reply: Pushing the D30- 38's? 40's? anyone?