Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Push button 4wd vs manual shifter

Old 12-24-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button 4wd vs manual shifter

I know this isn't entirely Jeep related, but I had to drive my buddy's truck a few days ago, and it has the push button 4x4 controls instead of a manual shifter. I think some other Jeep models also have this feature?

Anyway, I was curious how this works exactly. His tires suck and I had to put it in 4x4 a couple times just to get myself moving, but I noticed that there was quite a delay between pushing the button and the 4wd actually engaging. When I got going and went to put it back into 2wd there was a longer delay and the truck seemed to almost shudder, until eventually there was a big CLUNK and it dropped back into 2wd.

Now it seems to me like a manual shifter like the JK has would be a lot more reliable, and I like knowing that when I put it in 4wd that it's in 4wd and I don't have to screw around and wait for it to shift.

What's the point of the push button systems? I guess it could rule out improper shifting, like trying to put it in 4lo while at a stop or something like that, and would probably be a selling point for some people, but I just don't quite get it
Old 12-24-2008, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easier to put a pneumatic or electric solenoid on the shift mechanism at the transfer case than it is tryin to run direct into the cab. Especially if they don't have a floor console to put the lever in.
Plus, it would make body lifts easier.

However, I was not a fan of the electronic control my old '02 Dak had. I like the feel of actually shifting the transfer case myself. Very positive.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely, one of the biggest reasons I still went with the Jeep, it's REAL 4wd and you control it with a shift lever.....not a big fan of the push button either, I personally believe the reason for this is the industries slide to appeal to the laziness of people these days, 'see how easy it is, just push a button' which is slowly killing off our manual transmissions as well....
Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

My fathers Colorado has push button, it does feel like it takes longer than it should. My Silverado and Trailblazer both have the turn knob and works quickly.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had it on my S-10. My Ranger had a switch. I didn't notice any delay in either case -- the shift was immediate.

I liked it fine. The end result was the same.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chevy fullsized and s-10's until recently worked on a heated acuatot.. The actuator on the axle would warm up when energized and shift the axle in. This works well in warmer weather but in very cold climates and ice packed situations it took a little time. When you needed to change them out the replacement ones were more like a normal solenoid and worked much better. I believe the newer chevys all use this by now. And the push button was for "ease of use" or a more user friendly approach.. The lever was too complicated for some inexperienced drivers and the push button on the dash was/is easier to use without loosing track of whats happening on the road.
Yes I picked the Jeeps also due to it still is a real 4wd system.. When gone I will start rebuilding/restoring older jeeps..
Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Older Ford stuff had a motor on the transfer case just like a window motor. You push the switch, the motor turns a shaft and 4WD.

Bob
Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

My Chevy Tahoe had the push button... and I personally love the Jeep's shifting better. My Tahoe would randomly shift around on me for no reason... one time it shifted into 4L while I was going --25 MPH-- through campus. Revved up high and I thought the thing was gonna fall apart... that just doesn't happen in the Jeep. Took it to the dealer... it was a faulty sensor... 250 bucks.

Sometimes I miss the V8 and the Luxury climate control and DVD player when I'm carting people around... but when it's just me... simpler is better.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

jk's manual 4wd is alwasy the way to go
i have seen 2 trucks have push buttom go out in the mud and they are fucked
and if you have people who dont know what they are doing and get stuck and run the engine really hard for a long time in 4wd you can burn it in where you cant get it out of 4wd
Old 12-24-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cruiser
Chevy fullsized and s-10's until recently worked on a heated acuatot.. The actuator on the axle would warm up when energized and shift the axle in. This works well in warmer weather but in very cold climates and ice packed situations it took a little time. When you needed to change them out the replacement ones were more like a normal solenoid and worked much better. I believe the newer chevys all use this by now. And the push button was for "ease of use" or a more user friendly approach.. The lever was too complicated for some inexperienced drivers and the push button on the dash was/is easier to use without loosing track of whats happening on the road.
Yes I picked the Jeeps also due to it still is a real 4wd system.. When gone I will start rebuilding/restoring older jeeps..
This is probably the beast I was dealing with...I was driving a 2000ish GMC 2500. Seems like a wonky idea, but it does explain the looooong delay waiting for it to shift back into 2wd.

It's sad that we need make something like a shift lever "easier" to use

Quick Reply: Push button 4wd vs manual shifter