Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Purchasing a wrangler, need some help!

Old 01-23-2020, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

A carrier is what the ring and spider gears connect too or its a locker. You can add to any kit as you are just replacing components with better adjustable parts. Problem is if you are paying labor you will be doing several things over and over with will add up over time. A typically short arm full lift will take someone that knows what they are doing 8-10 hours. I would not even carry a spare tire on the back as you will likely never need it. I recommend carrying a plug kit and an on board air compressor.

A 2"-2.5" lift which does not require so much upgrade will allow you to run 35" tires and not break the bank, its more like $2500-3500 depending on what you choose for tires and wheels. This is a good kit for 2.5" https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...uspension.html

Here is a complete kit at 3.5" of lift and you would add shocks (sky is the limit on price but most will cost around $400 per set, high steer (drag link Flip) $300 and driveshafts $700 https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler-3...uspension.html

When comparing lifts you should have the same parts as these kits in them.

You are like many people that want to buy a wrangler, they all think they want a 3.5" lift for some reason. Why do you want a 3.5" lift and where did that thinking come from? Why not 2"? why not 6"?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been thinking of maybe starting with a 2.5'' lift with 35s. So I shouldn't have any issues with the stock flares getting in the way of the tires?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

What are you going to do with the jeep? Daily driver, weekend warrior, never see dirt?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

The reason I wanted a 3.5'' was just based off the look that I liked from seeing other builds. I was never really set on doing a 3.5'' lift but its just what I thought would look and function the best. I also wanted to run a 35'' tire and what I was researching led me to believe that a 3.5'' was the way to go. But after doing research and asking around (which I'm so glad I did) I realized there is so much more to it than just slapping a lift kit on and some beefier tires.

I think I underestimated the cost and work with installing a 3.5''+ lift. I am starting to lean toward a 2.5'' lift now that I know a little more after some research.

Again, I am certainly no expert when it comes to wranglers but I am eager to learn more about them and make better informed decisions. I really appreciate all the help that people are willing to give.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:32 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to be using it as my daily driver, but I also want to take it out on the weekends and get it dirty. I am getting a job soon and its going to be in construction so having a vehicle that can get me on and off work sites wherever they may be is also a big plus.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

IMO definitely take the time to research. I have 2 1/2” Teraflex which I installed 8 years ago, when you go over 2 1/2 you add a lot of other components that you will need to address. If I were to go with a new build and wanted to go over 2 1/2 inch I would go with Metal Cloak 3 1/2 inch game changer. But as it is I have slowly added to my build and have been happy with my lift but have over the years slowly added front/rear Adams drive shafts, HD Tera Flex ball joints, Tie Rod, Drag link, Armor....the list goes on and on. I just today ordered the 3.3 Falcon adjustable shocks to try and smooth out my ride, nothing wrong with current ride but I only have a few more items that I want to address with my suspension. I also am running 35 Discover Cooper STT Pro tires on Moto Metal Wheels. I would love to go bigger (37/38) but do not want to add additional stress especially on my Dana 30 front axle. I did upgrade my gears to 4.88 and added locker to the rear which for my Manual 3.8 runs my RPM’s pretty high on the road but off trail she climbs obstacles with ease. I’m sure I’m pushing 15K in mods but if you are buying a new or used Jeep and plan to lift it do it right. Anything over 2 1/2” plan on having to purchase upgrade other components a lot quicker than if you just put a 2 1/2 lift on.

The following users liked this post:
Eric Rawson (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 01:26 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

One other item to wrap your head around is the actual 'measured' lift height that you are likely to get with the various coils from different mfg's. For instance, I have MetalCloak 3.5" coils, and the measured lift height is over 4.5". So their 2.5" coils will likely give you around 3.5" measured, assuming you are not going to load your jeep heavy with armor and gear and whatever? That's plenty of room for 35's.

For other mfg's, do a little searching and reading to get an idea of where you'll end up. Some mfg's coils are known to sag, some give around the stated height, and others like MC are designed for armor and extra gear and weight in mind. It can make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
Eric Rawson (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hornetman
IMO definitely take the time to research. I have 2 1/2” Teraflex which I installed 8 years ago, when you go over 2 1/2 you add a lot of other components that you will need to address. If I were to go with a new build and wanted to go over 2 1/2 inch I would go with Metal Cloak 3 1/2 inch game changer. But as it is I have slowly added to my build and have been happy with my lift but have over the years slowly added front/rear Adams drive shafts, HD Tera Flex ball joints, Tie Rod, Drag link, Armor....the list goes on and on. I just today ordered the 3.3 Falcon adjustable shocks to try and smooth out my ride, nothing wrong with current ride but I only have a few more items that I want to address with my suspension. I also am running 35 Discover Cooper STT Pro tires on Moto Metal Wheels. I would love to go bigger (37/38) but do not want to add additional stress especially on my Dana 30 front axle. I did upgrade my gears to 4.88 and added locker to the rear which for my Manual 3.8 runs my RPM’s pretty high on the road but off trail she climbs obstacles with ease. I’m sure I’m pushing 15K in mods but if you are buying a new or used Jeep and plan to lift it do it right. Anything over 2 1/2” plan on having to purchase upgrade other components a lot quicker than if you just put a 2 1/2 lift on.
Originally Posted by nthinuf
One other item to wrap your head around is the actual 'measured' lift height that you are likely to get with the various coils from different mfg's. For instance, I have MetalCloak 3.5" coils, and the measured lift height is over 4.5". So their 2.5" coils will likely give you around 3.5" measured, assuming you are not going to load your jeep heavy with armor and gear and whatever? That's plenty of room for 35's.

For other mfg's, do a little searching and reading to get an idea of where you'll end up. Some mfg's coils are known to sag, some give around the stated height, and others like MC are designed for armor and extra gear and weight in mind. It can make a difference.

I think I'm going to be looking at the 2.5'' lifts now, they just seem like a safer bet for a newbie like myself. I am going to try and make a list that has all of the parts I want to install and put them in order of importance.

I also know this has been discussed but, will there be a significant difference between the 3.21 and 3.73 gear ratios when running a 2.5'' lift and 35s? The only Wrangler at the dealer that has the 3.73 is a Sahara and it has the 7 spoke rims that I really dislike. But it is cheaper than other selections so if the difference in gear ratios is significant enough I would rather take that extra money I save and put it towards a lift and wheels right away because I dont like the stock wheels.

Old 02-02-2020, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Oh ok Alexandr...

Quick Reply: Purchasing a wrangler, need some help!