Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Protecting Jeep suggestions

Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
What would constitute full retard with the application?
Jumping around screaming bashing your head on the ground?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're not planning on keeping it on very long, the cautions are mostly about appearance on horizontal surfaces where most light is reflected and nibs and other imperfections are most visible. It's not going to be totally smooth or even look that great, but it will provide some protection.

I don't know about the protection it will actually provide. Rocks and sharp pieces of the forest sticking out of the ground (tree stumps, sticker bushes, hard tree branches)-- the plasticoat will probably crump.

Full-retard would imply laying down a heavy coat. At least that's how I read it.

Last edited by jk_sea; 05-07-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sprayed my stock rims with plastidip and i read up on here first. Everything i read recommended multiple light coats. I had the wheels off and started spraying and i found light coats were a horrible waste of time. Thicker coats went on quick, clean and it self levels so there was no issue with drips etc.. I only had one mess up while doing it. I had some lint stick to a coat while it was tacky. I tried to gently brush it off and it of course caused a big "scrape" in the coat of dip. It was coat number one and after coat number two it was completely gone. Smooth and level. I actually put on 3 coats and it's held up just fine. Only time it peeled was when i changed tires and they took my wheel weights off. I just sprayed dip on them in short bursts while on the jeep and all is new again. Another thing i noticed was there is really no need to mask the tires while spraying since it is virtually invisible on a black tire and more importantly the dip on the tires just peels away after a few days of driving. Unless there is some chemical reaction between the dip and the rubber i dont see any harm to the tire.
I would recommend covering the bolt holes with quarters tho so ur lugs seat perfectly. Even the. It probably wouldnt matter. I dont think 90lbs of torque wud b effected by maybe at most a millimeter of dip. I would think it would compress to next to nothing anyway.

Quick Reply: Protecting Jeep suggestions