Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Prospective buyer

Old 01-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective buyer

Im looking at some used jk,'s and notice there are alot with high milage.
Are people dumping them after the 100k mark because there all used up or will they go for alot more miles than people think.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by razorsharp
Im looking at some used jk,'s and notice there are alot with high milage.
Are people dumping them after the 100k mark because there all used up or will they go for alot more miles than people think.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:02 PM
JK Junkie

They'll go for many more miles. I recently considered dumping mine at 93k miles due to 'financial hardship' but got a budget straightened out and I'm keeping it.

Just be sure to check it over, make sure everything works as it should and get some form of warranty against oil burning......get that part in writing.

Check the heat (flows out of all vents at the same temp), coolant (should be fresh, factory spec of 100k change), no ABS/ TCS light, fresh PCV valve, and so forth. If you're looking at newer then get the head tick issue covered under warranty in writing. If you end up with an auto then ensure you've got a cooler on it and fresh fluid.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Former Member

Thanks for the info im really a rookie with jeeps and need all the info I can get

Old 01-16-2014, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls
They'll go for many more miles. I recently considered dumping mine at 93k miles due to 'financial hardship' but got a budget straightened out and I'm keeping it. Just be sure to check it over, make sure everything works as it should and get some form of warranty against oil burning......get that part in writing. Check the heat (flows out of all vents at the same temp), coolant (should be fresh, factory spec of 100k change), no ABS/ TCS light, fresh PCV valve, and so forth. If you're looking at newer then get the head tick issue covered under warranty in writing. If you end up with an auto then ensure you've got a cooler on it and fresh fluid.
Form of warranty against oil burning on 100k wrangler? That's a new one for me - care to explain? Is there some sort of standard threshold?
Old 01-16-2014, 09:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sea bass
Form of warranty against oil burning on 100k wrangler? That's a new one for me - care to explain? Is there some sort of standard threshold?
Not necessarily on a 100k, but I would want it on any of them given the number of ones that consume large amounts of oil. I don't have the problem personally but it is something that a potential buyer should be aware of.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:11 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like u got a problem there
Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The JK has all the right stuff to go much farther than 100k, but so much of that (with any vehicle) is how it was cared for and maintained.

There's issues to watch out for, and it would be worth getting a general sense of JK history to understand some of the major changes in powertrain and configuration since 2007. Unfortunately, that's reading that will take you some time to complete. I'd love to spill everything I know here, but that would take much more time than I have to sit here and type! Stay for a while, grab something cold from the fridge, and do some looking around here. The Search feature is your friend. A good start would actually be to hop out to Wikipedia and read up on the history of the JK Wrangler.

My best advice is to figure out what configuration you want (2-door, 4-door) and beyond that, which flavor (Sport/X, Sahara, Rubicon), and start looking what years fall into your price range.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine's just breaking in at nearly 80k miles so I'm sure that if properly maintained and not abused, it will keep on going. I bought a TJ once with 110k miles and it was a great rig.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think just about every Jeep in the family (except my 14 JKU, of course) has a lot more than 100k on it. The Cherokee my father just sold had close to 250k on it and still ran like a top. My sister's Cherokee has 125k, and the Grand Cherokee she had before that had a number above that (don't remember what it was, but it was more). Like has already been said, take care of it and it'll run forever, abuse and neglect it and it won't.

Good luck and I hope you find the one that really flips your switch!

Quick Reply: Prospective buyer