Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Proper Rear Window Roll Up

Old 03-08-2016, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Rear Window Roll Up

Finally purchased a new Willy's edition soft top after getting rid of my first jeep in my early 20's. I remember after years of rolling up the rear window to drop the top, it made the clear window sort of faded and showed scratch marks, making it not as clear. I kept the tailgate bar intact while rolling it up.

Is there any secret to rolling the rear window to keep it from fading and scratches? Maybe put a soft towel on the window while rolling it? Anyone have any suggestions to try?
Old 03-08-2016, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a bag to roll mine up and store it in. It has felt pages to put the side and rear windows in AND it hooks up to the roll bar so you should never be stranded without the rest of the top. Unfortunately for me, too little too late. After a summer and a half, my back window especially is already scratched to hell.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like you I didn't want to scratch my windows. This is my second jk and I bought it new so I wanted it to stay that way as long as possible. I took extra pains by having a jug of water with me at all times and "rinsing" them down with a clean cloth every time I took them down and even bought some extra large beach towels to lay between the windows when I rolled them up.

So after all that they still got some scratches. I am convinced the wind scratches them lol. Anyways now I just roll the back up with the bar. I have tinted windows so it's not as noticeable as "foggy" clear ones. I think it's just something you have to accept. Good luck though!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had good results with completely removing the rear window, and rolling it up backwards so to speak. I'm basically rolling it so the outside of the window rolls inwards. I let it rest behind my rear seat, propped up on the edges by the back of the roll bar. I have a small speaker box on the right side, that kind of pins in between itself and the rear seat once it's locked back into place. That keeps it from blowing around, or coming unrolled.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a gear bag from Academy that fits perfectly with all three back windows rolled, and I cut up a yard of dark gray felt to fit between the windows (one for each window). I have a cargo cover, so I just lay down the felt on the cargo cover, then lay down the rear window (without the bar) on the felt, lay another piece of felt on top of it, stack one side window, then another felt, another side window, roll it all up and put it in the bag. Works great.

My JKU is only six months old and already the rear window is scratched like crazy even with me using exceptional care when removing them. I think it was scratched when brand new, but I will have a hard time convincing the dealer to warranty them. Anyway, I also carry a spray bottle of glass cleaner and a roll of shop towels and I religiously clean the windows before removing them. I absolutely don't want more scratches and I absolutely don't want to have to replace the windows in a year or two because I can't see out of them.

On a different note, a zip-out rear glass window would be pretty great. I could let it flop on my cargo cover. The glass wouldn't scratch.

Quick Reply: Proper Rear Window Roll Up