Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

proof for my dad.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say work it over with your dad. Tell him why you would like the Rubi over the X. The half doors look nice with the top down but are a pain in the arse dealing with the windows. I also know where your dad comes from not wanting to buy used, plus the new life time power train warranty that comes with it is a big plus. But if were are only talking 840 miles that is hardly used. I would be a little sceptical about that price, but if there is nothing shady going on it's a heck of a bargain.

Bottom line is to sell your dad on what you want and why, but then appreciate whatever he decides. He probably has a lot more experience about these things, and reasons for his decission.

Then check out this video, a couple of those Jeeps are X's

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OFUXXDq1dvM
Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my perspective, I would ask what are you going to do with your Jeep? Are you planning to run some serious trails? Or are you looking for some weekend excitement?

Ask yourself what you want the Jeep for?

If you buy the Rubi, then you have a Stage I complete Jeep: transfer case, Dana44 out back and up front, lockers, 4.10s, beefy suspension, swaybar disconnect, and 32" BFGs - standard. A great platform from which to build on... that said, the X is also a pretty good starter and can be customized for a few dollars more.

Keep in mind, a JKer, Toad had a stock X and she and Bullfrog went EVERYWHERE the lifted and locked Rubicons went... don't undervalue the X.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have owned a few jeeps ('91 YJ, '96 WJ, '97 TJ).
A couple things to consider when deciding which door style to go with:

What is your own personel preferrance for half doors?

Maintainance/care for windows. Over time they will cloud. Easily scratch. Oil zippers or they will cease fuctioning.

Security - The cab will be easily accessed. After having lost 4 stereoes, I just left it as a hole. Be pepared to have anyone and everyone be able to ge in. Do not keep any valuables inside.

Protection from the elements. In high winds, the tophalf is very susceptible to flexing and allowing the air inside. I never had any problems with rain by itself leaking in so that is not a problem, just when coupled with heavy winds. Good thing I live in Southern California now and not the Southern beaches of Lake Michigan in Indiana. NO MORE SNOW!!!! Unless I want to see it and drive 2 hours to see it

As already stated in an earlier post, there is not much more protection if involved in an accident. If you intend to run with a lift, you're going to be higher than most vehicles that might hit you any way. Only concern that comes to mind is if you roll it at high speeds (good thing Jeeps are not known for going fast).

With all that being said, if I were looking to get a 2-door, it would definately be with half doors. Mine have almost always been off, weather permitting. Hell, usually the whole doors will be off. Just make sure you always know what you're getting into, good and bad and that you can deal with what may happen either way.

I personally find full doors too confining. Particularly with the top down.

When researching the VIN # to find out if it has been in an accident, contact/visit another dealer. Not all accidents get reported, but repairs will be documented as long as there have been tended to by a Jeep dealership. ***Check the undercarriage for damage, scratches, scrapes, etc. for heavy off-road use.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by crux
Well I1m glad you like your X. But next time you should refrain from the "hyped up rubi" remarks unless you wanna stir the nest. Jeep on
X2
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackjkrubi
X2
uh, was I talking to you?
My X could kick your Rubi's ass! *

sorry, you started/restarted it!

*for mpg's anyhow....
Old 12-27-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

get the X.... spend the extra 10k on mods... 4 inch LA LIFT... 37's.... bumpers... lockers... and so on
Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whats funny is that if you get the x and spend the difference in price on mods then the x WILL be more capable for the same price. You can get a transfercase, tires, lockers, gears, lift, etc... for less then 10 grand. Do a little homework if capability and value are important to you or dad.

ohh... there is a sticker on the soft top header bar that says that the doors and top provide NO, ZERO, ZILCH, NOT A SPECK of protection in an accident. Their only purpose is to keep the elements off of you.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glick
ohh... there is a sticker on the soft top header bar that says that the doors and top provide NO, ZERO, ZILCH, NOT A SPECK of protection in an accident. Their only purpose is to keep the elements off of you.
in the manual too...

Last edited by wayland1985; 12-27-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glick
Whats funny is that if you get the x and spend the difference in price on mods then the x WILL be more capable for the same price. You can get a transfercase, tires, lockers, gears, lift, etc... for less then 10 grand. Do a little homework if capability and value are important to you or dad.

If you read from the beginning you would know he found a used 07 Rubi for the same price as an 08 X.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

so today we drove past a rubi (04) with half doors. so i showed him that and he gets it a little bit. but he is now using the excuse that it rides rough and is bouncy compared to a X. can anyone confirm this?

Quick Reply: proof for my dad.