Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Procal vs bully dog programmer

Old 11-03-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I've had my eyes on the bulldog triple dog GT tuner since it came out. I really like the real time digital gauge feature and everything the bully dog offers, except the price. I can't see spending that much money on a programmer.

I've been looking around for things that I want/need in a programmer and have pretty much narrowed the list to this:

1. Tire size programming to correct speedo
2. Shift point correction (I have an auto with 4.10 gears)
3. performance/offroad tune for more hp and better gas mileage
4. I would like to change the degree the fan kicks on for offroad purposes - not a necessity but would like this other than adding another fan for cooling

I have been looking at the pro cal and I know many people use them. I wanted to get feedback on both of these programmers and see what is recommended. Pretty much everything on my list above is what I'm looking for, anything else would be additional that I really don't need. Please help!

My specs:
07 2 door JK automatic
4.10 gears
3" Full Traction Lift
35" BFG KM2's

What are your experiences/thoughts with these programmers? I know there are threads for both products and I have read through several of them. Bottom line, would the Procal be suggested over the bulldog for my purpose?

Last edited by GreenJK07; 11-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Any Procal people out there?
Old 11-03-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Bump.......
Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Bump.........
Old 11-04-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ProCal and it works beautifully. Speedo correction, TPMS threshold, etc. super easy and takes just a few seconds. My speedometer is spot on; however you must make a fairly accurate measurement of your tire diameter and set the DIP switches accordingly. It sounds like the ProCal would work out well for your purposes. I cannot comment on the Bulldog tuner.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Canyonrunner
I have the ProCal and it works beautifully. Speedo correction, TPMS threshold, etc. super easy and takes just a few seconds. My speedometer is spot on; however you must make a fairly accurate measurement of your tire diameter and set the DIP switches accordingly. It sounds like the ProCal would work out well for your purposes. I cannot comment on the Bulldog tuner.
Thank you! Do you have an auto? I'm curious to know how much of a difference the shift points make. Any increase on hp?
Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Procal user here.

Yes on points 1 and 2.

No for points 3 and 4.

It makes your rig run like stock when you get new tires and gears and etc. Also does stuff like adjust your TPMS pressure setting, turn daytime running lamps off/on and your idle level (good for high current draw applications like winching). But it can't fine-tune your ride like a Bully Dog/SuperChips can.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm holding out to hear more about the new hypertech. Sounds very promising....
Old 11-04-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Thank you! Do you have an auto? I'm curious to know how much of a difference the shift points make. Any increase on hp?
I do have the Auto. However, as Chris mentioned in his above post, it's not really a true tuner. It will readily take care of the first two things that you list. I have not re-geared at this point, so I have not used the Axle Ratio Mode feature.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Procal user here.

Yes on points 1 and 2.

No for points 3 and 4.

It makes your rig run like stock when you get new tires and gears and etc. Also does stuff like adjust your TPMS pressure setting, turn daytime running lamps off/on and your idle level (good for high current draw applications like winching). But it can't fine-tune your ride like a Bully Dog/SuperChips can.
Thanks! I didn't think it would be much of a tuner but wanted to see. Im really not too worried about the fan coming on bc I think I'm going to put a tranny cooler and fan on there. Thanks for the input!

Quick Reply: Procal vs bully dog programmer