Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Preventive mods to Prevent possible Fire

Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventive mods to Prevent possible Fire

So just wondering if anybody else is thinking about what can be done to help their Jeep from going up in smoke.??

I have two thoughts for my Jeep.
Remove the RH oil/tranny/cat skid, and reinstall the OEM tranny Skid and Install an Oil Pan Skid (now needing protection) resulting in less heat on Tranny.
Install an after market Tranny Cooler.
Drive in town with the O/D off (which I do 90% of the time)
I've had the oil light go on once while wheeling in Colo (2 times within 2 miles, causing about a 60 min rest stop).. (once it was off I used 4LO, which I really didn't think I needed at the time but it helped, something learned about the Jeeps system I guess)

any thoughts?

other: we have had a car fire in our driveway and it sucks. Car had 90K+ miles on it if I recall, 86 Chey Nova, no recalls but the insurance company did there own little investigation and told us that there had been a dozen or so Chevy Nova and Toyota Corolla's that had engine compartment fire's which were believed to be caused by a faulty carburetor. Corolla's and Nova's in the late 80's were basically the same car. The joint venture that GM and Toyota had building cars in one of GM Calf plants, which is now closed.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Fire Extinguisher?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen.. atleast carry a fire extinguisherClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC02985.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	320726
Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess wash your under carriage per chrysler near the cat
Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

fire extinguisher,, I guess I was thinking that's a basic Jeep tool but it's probably not.

I agree mostly with it's going to happen if it's going to happen.
I'm probably in the minority but I wash and inspect the under carriage almost after every outing, of course some outing are a week long, but even then i try and keep the mud and crap off to prevent build up..

I also park in the garage so I'm not to concerned about it.
I was thinking this was going thru a lot of Jeeper's mind with the recall and all..

Quick Reply: Preventive mods to Prevent possible Fire