Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Powertank build

Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powertank build

I would really like a powertank but its too heavy for me too ship i would pay too much money. So it there a way i can build one here myself? what would i need and whats the main idea of the powertank?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not going to save you much money. But you could do what I did. Buy your own tank and just get whatever powertank regulator suits your needs. I got the high end kit, 300+ PSI@ 45 CFM regulator, handle, hose, fittings. And then slapped that on a 20lb tank I acquired. It fills my 35x12.5 tires from 15 to 30 PSI in about 30 seconds through my 4-way air hose.

Made a lot of guys with compressors pretty damn jealous this weekend. I was the last one back to the staging area and of those that aired down was the first to leave. Was the tail-end to make sure everybody made it back... we had a STOCK Pathfinder we rescued with us for example.

I lazily walked around and cleaned all my valve stems and caps, took em off, rolled out the hose, filled and was leaving before most got 1-2 tires high enough to drive down the highway to the gas station to finish them. And the next biggest tires were 31x10's...

You CAN use a welding-type regulator but the PSI and flowrates aren't very high. Not sure if you could use a SCUBA style, but but I highly doubt there's much for flow rates there.... You could also use a CO2 pop dispenser type, but likely the same issue. And trying to push high psi AND flow through a reg not designed for it results in it icing up. Guess it just depends how fast you want it to go.

There are a few less expensive companies out there that may suit your needs, can't recall the brand names though. "The Source" comes to mind, but that could be wrong.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sn4cktime
Not going to save you much money. But you could do what I did. Buy your own tank and just get whatever powertank regulator suits your needs. I got the high end kit, 300+ PSI@ 45 CFM regulator, handle, hose, fittings. And then slapped that on a 20lb tank I acquired. It fills my 35x12.5 tires from 15 to 30 PSI in about 30 seconds through my 4-way air hose.

Made a lot of guys with compressors pretty damn jealous this weekend. I was the last one back to the staging area and of those that aired down was the first to leave. Was the tail-end to make sure everybody made it back... we had a STOCK Pathfinder we rescued with us for example.

I lazily walked around and cleaned all my valve stems and caps, took em off, rolled out the hose, filled and was leaving before most got 1-2 tires high enough to drive down the highway to the gas station to finish them. And the next biggest tires were 31x10's...

You CAN use a welding-type regulator but the PSI and flowrates aren't very high. Not sure if you could use a SCUBA style, but but I highly doubt there's much for flow rates there.... You could also use a CO2 pop dispenser type, but likely the same issue. And trying to push high psi AND flow through a reg not designed for it results in it icing up. Guess it just depends how fast you want it to go.

There are a few less expensive companies out there that may suit your needs, can't recall the brand names though. "The Source" comes to mind, but that could be wrong.

The powertank themselfs are not too pricey but the shipping to kuwait is thats the prob. iam a newb to powertanks and what you explained i couldnt understand since i know the parts. hehe. will i need a normal tank like the ones they use for oxygen cutting and stuff? and what are these regulators?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Three parts to a DIY system:

1) Regulator: You can get a 90 or 150 psi regulator for $55 bucks in the USA and it works fine. Its small and light weight for shipping. I use one all the time on my own system. They do tend to ice up after prolonged use, but it is minor inconvenience.

2) Tank: For the tank you can use CO2 tanks used in the beer or soft drink beverage industry, or those use in fire fighting. Some fire extinguisher tanks might work provided they have been saftey checked. The best tanks are these 10 or 20 lb aluminum ones found on ebay for $72.95

3) Add a hose and quick disconnects and your system is ready (you will need to fill your tank with CO2 at a compressed gas filling station). Total cost of the system is less than $160 dls. The disadvantage of these system is the cost to fill them up after they are empty. USA cost is usally $15 to 20 per fill up (10 lb tank)

You might want to add a mounting system for the roll bar or in the cargo area.

Last edited by VictorS; 11-11-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by VictorS
Three parts to a DIY system:

1) Regulator: You can get a 90 or 150 psi regulator for $55 bucks in the USA and it works fine. Its small and light weight for shipping. I use one all the time on my own system. They do tend to ice up after prolonged use, but it is minor inconvenience.

2) Tank: For the tank you can use CO2 tanks used in the beer or soft drink beverage industry, or those use in fire fighting. Some fire extinguisher tanks might work provided they have been saftey checked. The best tanks are these 10 or 20 lb aluminum ones found on ebay for $72.95

3) Add a hose and quick disconnects and your system is ready (you will need to fill your tank with CO2 at a compressed gas filling station). Total cost of the system is less than $160 dls. The disadvantage of these system is the cost to fill them up after they are empty. USA cost is usally $15 to 20 per fill up (10 lb tank)

You might want to add a mounting system for the roll bar or in the cargo area.

Now i get the. The coil hose you have does it have to be special? or any normal pneumatic one will work? and the regulator means that the tank will give out 150psi? and can this tank also work with an air horn?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is extremely surprissing that you can't find a power tank in Kuwait, I'm pretty sure that if you look in the right place somebody would have it.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robin
it is extremely surprissing that you can't find a power tank in Kuwait, I'm pretty sure that if you look in the right place somebody would have it.
Believe me i cant. i know nearly all the car accesories shops and they dont have it. I cant even find a hijack, which i really want.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Check out Ultimate-Air, they cost a lot less than Power Tank, so may make up the difference. PM AZBulldog, he's a distibuter for them and may be able to get some good shipping prices.

Here's my set-up
Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Check out Ultimate-Air, they cost a lot less than Power Tank, so may make up the difference. PM AZBulldog, he's a distibuter for them and may be able to get some good shipping prices.

Here's my set-up
Thats exactly what i need, but shipping to kuwait is the prob. i pay about $20 for 2 pounds.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Freak

bump up any more additions? of what i can do?

Quick Reply: Powertank build