Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Powerhouse Engine....

Old 11-12-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerhouse Engine....

In the wifes Caravan that is.

Toaday I had to take the wifes 01 Caravan in for a new windshield and O/L/F. Compared to my month old JK that Van has some Power
So as I'm pullng out of the driveway the peddle is pressed a little and the Friggin' thing peels out. (not that that's hard, but from what i was use to) I'm not saying that I like to peel out but it is pretty sad when I get excited about driving something with more power and it happens to be the wifes minivan Passsing cars and getting on the highway I couldn/t belive I was up to speeed so quick. This has the same engine as my 08 JK 3.8 v6 so where did all that lost power go????? The van is 7 years old and over 200K. I know that it has different gears but do gears really make that much of a differnce? If not then why is their such a big Gap in performance?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your JK cant peel out?? mine will smoke em if I turn the esp off.. It spins up rather well with it on.. And I have no issues passing people?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Mine will too and I also have no problem passing but you can feel that the engine is at its limits. I was just saying that going from the JK to the Minivan their was a BIG difference in the way that the 2 engines handled, and the JK was not the winner! Are they not the same Engine?
Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's funny because Ford used the 2v 281's in a lot of their cars, and for some reason my mom's town car always felt peppier than my mustang. I do know that there are small differences besides gears, i.e. intake manifold, head design, that end up changing where your power comes alive in the rpm range.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes gears make an enormous difference AND the auto in the Jeep is only a 4 speed. There's your loss of power right there. The Jeep is geared for torque so you're not really looking for highway speed anyway. Low rpm offroading torque is totally different than high rpm horsepower for the freeway.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopur

Toaday I had to take the wifes 01 Caravan in for a new windshield and O/L/F. Compared to my month old JK that Van has some Power
So as I'm pullng out of the driveway the peddle is pressed a little and the Friggin' thing peels out. (not that that's hard, but from what i was use to) I'm not saying that I like to peel out but it is pretty sad when I get excited about driving something with more power and it happens to be the wifes minivan Passsing cars and getting on the highway I couldn/t belive I was up to speeed so quick. This has the same engine as my 08 JK 3.8 v6 so where did all that lost power go????? The van is 7 years old and over 200K. I know that it has different gears but do gears really make that much of a differnce? If not then why is their such a big Gap in performance?
It's not the same engine by a country mile. It shares the same heritage, but it's not the same engine at all.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
Yes gears make an enormous difference AND the auto in the Jeep is only a 4 speed. There's your loss of power right there. The Jeep is geared for torque so you're not really looking for highway speed anyway. Low rpm offroading torque is totally different than high rpm horsepower for the freeway.
The auto in the Jeep actually has 4 shifting events. From one to two, from two to three, from three to four and from four to converter lockup. So, in essence, it's really a five speed.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Chopur

How many miles on your Jeep? It may still be in the "powered down" break-in period. It's easier to spin the tires on front wheel drive, too.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and tire/wheel size difference too?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Solid Axels

Quick Reply: Powerhouse Engine....