Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Power locks & Power windows.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
Get the power. Windows matter because of the one's you can't reach. Mirrors matter if there is more than one driver or if they get bumped. Locks matter if you wanna make sure the rig is locked after your pants are off.

Sir Grim_creation must have some very bad window luck. I've had power windows, etc, on cars from the 50's to the present. Only repair was to the tailgate window in a '72 Travelall. POS (the tailgate, not the Travelall).

Yes, yes I have. Well rather me and my dad. 7 motors bad in three years in 3 different vehicles. Taking the door apart, replacing it, then putting it back together gets old, quick. Mostly to blame on the NY salt, but hey something breaking is something breaking regardless of why. Still gotta fix it in the end.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 AM
JK Newbie

Jeeps of all models have rampant window regulator/power assembly problems. It's so bad on some models that Jeep has recently indicated to dealers that if a customer comes in with a faulty one, just go ahead and replace it no questions asked.

When I got my '11 JKU two months ago, I read countless threads about guys not being able to get their windows to roll up, etc. I thought.. "some things never change". Jeep uses cheap plastic parts and eventually they will break.

At least with manual windows I don't have to ever worry about window regulators. The bottom line is... there are definitely advantages to both manual and power windows. You just gotta' decide which is more important to you... convenience or longevity/simplicity.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Power is the way to go for me. Love being able to push the buttons to close/open the windows and lock the doors!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Being in florida power all the way, need to open them up as soon as the thing starts.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the soft top, you should not use the locks/alarm, and if you want an authentic jeep experience, you factory order half-doors, so rolling down the windows is not an issue - just take them out!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Power windows is sooooo nice, especially on a 4 door. Had 2 older jeeps for 8 years and I prefer the un-jeep like convenience.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

GO WITH THE POWER
Old 07-19-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WXman
At least with manual windows I don't have to ever worry about window regulators. The bottom line is... there are definitely advantages to both manual and power windows. You just gotta' decide which is more important to you... convenience or longevity/simplicity.
Manual windows have regulators too - just powered by hand instead of the motor.

I've only ever fixed one power window, but I've fixed a number of manual windows.

If you want fool-proof, go with side curtains.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Real men don't roll down their windows, they unzip them.

Honestly, if you are getting full doors, get the power windows. If you want the true jeep experience, get the rag top and half doors, leave them off all the time, and carry trash bags to sit on when the seats get wet.

I paid my man dues when I was younger. I've earned those heated leather seats and power windows.

And the remote start is just for the geek in me.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default I have a different take on why you might need power locks...

Finding your damn Jeep.

I park my Jeep a ton at the airport. When I come back from a week away, it's damn hard to remember exactly where you parked. I click the keyfob and poof, my Mango's horn sounds and the lights flash.

Can't do that with manual locks.

Quick Reply: Power locks & Power windows.