Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Power locks & Power windows.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted manual windows but with power locks when i bought mine. Unfortunately someone decided it was a great idea to only be able to get both and not just one or the other. Power windows are a PITA IMO. I've replaced them so many times, not in the jeep but other vehicles. If only we could pick what we wanted and nothing else to be added to our vehicles when we bought them.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:25 PM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by muddenjeep
More power is always better. Who has crank windows anymore?

X2 go with the power
Old 07-18-2011, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default i agree

Originally Posted by grim_creation
I wanted manual windows but with power locks when i bought mine. Unfortunately someone decided it was a great idea to only be able to get both and not just one or the other. Power windows are a PITA IMO. I've replaced them so many times, not in the jeep but other vehicles. If only we could pick what we wanted and nothing else to be added to our vehicles when we bought them.
power windows can be very expensive when the motor goes out and it is not a pain to roll your window down but removing a hard top or soft top is ok ? get real. however the door locks are a must on a four door.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the power. Windows matter because of the one's you can't reach. Mirrors matter if there is more than one driver or if they get bumped. Locks matter if you wanna make sure the rig is locked after your pants are off.

Sir Grim_creation must have some very bad window luck. I've had power windows, etc, on cars from the 50's to the present. Only repair was to the tailgate window in a '72 Travelall. POS (the tailgate, not the Travelall).
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

I have manual windows and don't mind them at all.. Everything else is manual as well. Then again, I have a 2dr
Old 07-18-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

I won't lie...it was hard getting used to manual windows again. It was even harder getting used to manual locks...especially with a family of 5. What a PITA.

Having said that... Jeeps are NOTORIOUS for bad window regulators and malfunctioning power accessories. Having manual windows eliminates the expensive regulator replacements that some guys have had to do several times.

Also, if a rain hits real fast... don't need to find my keys to roll my windows up.

There is definitely something to be said for simplicity.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a cheap ass, I didnt even get one with ac
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

I've had 6 jeeps...3 without power, 3 with power. Power is better in every conceivable way. Never had a problem with any window motors or accessories.

Just do it!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Super Freak

I got rid of my 2008 Sahara with power everything and picked up a 2011 with power nothing. 6 speed, roll up windows and manual locks.

I have no problems with it. My only complaint is that there isn't a lever to flip for the gate. That requires the key-in-lock method.

I had an extra key made that isn't chipped so it doesn't start the motor and it's buried deep in the chassis so if I go numb at some point and lock my keys inside with the hard top on I can open the doors easy enough... But in the unlikely event the key is found (really remote considering where I stashed it) the jeep isn't going any where...

All in all still happy I went manual... I was starting to feel too disconnected, like those people on Wall-E
Old 07-18-2011, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by by muddenjeep
More power is always better. Who has crank windows anymore?
Originally Posted by snowbilt
Me..........
As do I, always have.

Quick Reply: Power locks & Power windows.