Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Power Folding Top

Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Folding Top

I might get some flack for this, but I would really like a power folding top for my 2dr JK. I know it only takes a few minutes to lower/raise the top, but living in the north east the weather can go from nice to rainy pretty quick, and having been caught in a down poor with my top down was no fun. Maybe I'm just a lazy American, but wouldn't it be nice to just hit a button and have your lower/raise in 30 seconds.

Am i only one who would be interested in this
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hansonian
i was initially going to give you hell for this but since it's your jeep and it's something you want/need i just can't. in my 15years of owning jeeps i've never heard anyone say they wanted one. i would think it would cut down on the already limited space of 2 door owners have in the back. if you do somehow get one i want to see pics and video of it in action.
I don't know if anyone makes such a thing... I'm sure its possible, just don't know how much it would cost. And i appreciate you now blasting me

Originally Posted by OlegFl
I was in Hawaii last year and rented a convertable mustang..... It was AWESOME pressing that button and having the top on/off at will while driving (pulling over for a sec or red light)!
That is my entire basis. I was at a light while going out to lunch and the car behind me lowered their top and it got me thinking. I use the sunrider top alot for convenience but its just not the same as having the top all the way down.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry but after the years of putting a Jeep soft top up and down, I'd love to be able to push a button and watch the top go up! I love that my Jeep now comes with power doors and windows, a top is the only thing thats left!
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Duma3421
I might get some flack for this, but I would really like a power folding top for my 2dr JK. I know it only takes a few minutes to lower/raise the top, but living in the north east the weather can go from nice to rainy pretty quick, and having been caught in a down poor with my top down was no fun. Maybe I'm just a lazy American, but wouldn't it be nice to just hit a button and have your lower/raise in 30 seconds.

Am i only one who would be interested in this

You are correct sir.

Now stop being a lazy american, and go trade your Jeep in for a CAR

But seriously, I agree with the above statement regarding the already limited space in a Wrangler. Particularly a 2 door The pneumatics, framework and electronics required for a power top would assuredly leave little to no room in what is already a rather "space challenged" vehicle.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scottrock
You are correct sir.

Now stop being a lazy american, and go trade your Jeep in for a CAR

But seriously, I agree with the above statement regarding the already limited space in a Wrangler. Particularly a 2 door The pneumatics, framework and electronics required for a power top would assuredly leave little to no room in what is already a rather "space challenged" vehicle.
Using electric actuators to move the bows would not take up that much space. Not to mention if i was concerned with space I would've got a four door. Plus when the top is down there is not really any space behind the rear seat. I see the biggest challenge being the side windows perhaps if they were made of a material that could fold or was a one piece unit like the trektop.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Duma3421
Using electric actuators to move the bows would not take up that much space. Not to mention if i was concerned with space I would've got a four door. Plus when the top is down there is not really any space behind the rear seat. I see the biggest challenge being the side windows perhaps if they were made of a material that could fold or was a one piece unit like the trektop.
Hey dude, go fer it!

Post pics when you're done!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know there was a company making them for the TJ, but haven't seen anything for the JK yet.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Screw that. It takes less then 2 min to do the whole process. It is just one more thing that could break.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree 100%. The only complaint I have about my 4 door is the soft top is a pain in the ass to put up/down. With my hardtop hoist, it is 10 times easier putting ihe hard top on an off than the f-ing soft top. No worries about taking up space, I knew I wasnt going to have any when I bought it, and it really couldnt take up that much.

You design it, I'll buy it.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Littlejon
I know there was a company making them for the TJ, but haven't seen anything for the JK yet.
http://w ww.barkertop.com/

sorry armycop....didn't realize my error. Please delete if needed.

Last edited by packrat213; 05-19-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Non-Sponsor link

Quick Reply: Power Folding Top