Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Is it possible to haul a top in the back of a pick up truck

Old 04-22-2009, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to haul a top in the back of a pick up truck

I am wondering if anyone knows a good way to haul a freedom top for a 4 dr in the back of a standard size truck safely. It will be a pretty long haul. Will it fit? How do you position it?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Place some cushioning or padding in the box bed where the top will rest to help with the bumps. Add a 2x4 onto the rails that is as wide as the truck box and tie or bolt down the 2x4 in the box rail holes. Rap the 2x4 with an old towl and then you can let the front portion of the rear half of the top sit/rest on this and tie down. Or you can let the front of the rear portion hang over the rear tail gate by a few inches and strap down to your hitch receiver??? be sure to Bungee strap the rear window so it does not pop up.

The Panels just slip into the crewcab/extended cab portion of the truck or lay in the bed of the truck but be sure to have a blanket or cushioning so you don't cause any scratches or chips between the panels.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

So it will fit width wise?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thrillrod
So it will fit width wise?
I'd imagine that depends on the truck you plan on hauling it with. Grab a tape measure and check to be sure!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
be sure to Bungee strap the rear window so it does not pop up.
TripleJeep is sound in saying to be extra careful with the rear window. You will be suprise at the extra money you will have to dish out to replace it. Good advise from triplejeep
Old 04-22-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a long bed F150 and my hard top did not fit width-wise. I have carried it using basically the method described in the first reply (couple of two-by-fours across the bed, some padding, and some ratchet straps). I faced the rear window forward just so it wouldn't catch the wind. I actually had a whole bunch of crap headed for storage in the bed underneath it, and everything rode fine. I'd think if it were just the top, you'd be fine for a longer haul, just make sure to pad everything and strap it in tight.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to haul a top in the back of a pick up truck