Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

portal-tek Axles

Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Totenkopf
It's a real product...they were on my truck at SEMA but I couldn't make it to EJS.
post some pics
Old 06-08-2009, 02:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TxCop07
Does anyone have any information on the portal-tek axles for a JK Jeep? I have emailed them but haven't heard back yet. I am wanting to know how much fabrication is needed to mount the axles, prices for the axles and availability of parts. Here is the website:www.portal-tek.com
Prototype AxleTech portal boxes were installed on Dynatrac pro rock dana 60s on fred william's rock buggy - the install pictures and detailed write-up are in August edition of Petersens 4wheel + Offroad mag. Gave him 5 inches of additional clearance on his purpose built rig
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chuck45
I'm glad to hear that. But I believe my point is valid. If the company wants to pry dollars out of our pockets we need to be able to look at something. Especially as it is not cheap. Is there any info and or pics on your truck out there?

Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks an awful lot like the Missoula shop for AEV.

Did you ever get the CTIS up and running?

Last edited by Littlejon; 06-09-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

holy crap that is awesome
Old 06-09-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Freak

there is a article about the portal axles in this months peterson 4wheel & offroad. looks like a great option. the only problems i see with it are $$$, 10 inches of width , and if you do break one of these who is going to fix it? most of us know how to work on our 44's etc. i would think most of us would be clueless about the portal setup as far as fixing them once we break them.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

No one has even mentioned that you would basically be netting 4+ inches of lift and it would all be under sprung weight right? That means your rig would be just as stable as it was stock. Am I right?? Maybe up way off base here...

The coolest rig I ever saw with this set up was a 6x6 Yellow TJ unlimited with 3 portal axles and all of them could steer. It walked up and down potato salad diagonally. I was awesome
Old 06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubyRed44
No one has even mentioned that you would basically be netting 4+ inches of lift and it would all be under sprung weight right? That means your rig would be just as stable as it was stock. Am I right?? Maybe up way off base here...

The coolest rig I ever saw with this set up was a 6x6 Yellow TJ unlimited with 3 portal axles and all of them could steer. It walked up and down potato salad diagonally. I was awesome
I know that Jeep- built by the Patey brothers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6x6rockcrawl.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	25317  
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubyRed44
Not quite right. I know that Jim designed the suspension for the Brute pictured earlier, and for the geometry in the suspension you need to factor in the added lift from the portals. I believe that Brute was running a 3.5" spring, but due to the additional and different forces of a portal the geometry is the same as would be on a 7" lift.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Not quite right. I know that Jim designed the suspension for the Brute pictured earlier, and for the geometry in the suspension you need to factor in the added lift from the portals. I believe that Brute was running a 3.5" spring, but due to the additional and different forces of a portal the geometry is the same as would be on a 7" lift.
Ya but as far as weight is concerned aren't you basically getting 7" of "lift" but only suffering from 3.5" of over sprung weight being higher. All I know is under sprung weight is good. I saw a guy in Moab during EJS this year that put a couple of gallons of water in each of his tires and he crawled up everything! Never even chirped a tire! It was amazing!

Quick Reply: portal-tek Axles