Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

portal-tek Axles

Old 05-31-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, ordinarily it would be expensive. My company is working with (and has become a GSA dealer) for Portal Tek to design a completely bolt on kit. You get the axle and it will be ready to bolt on - all you will have to is put the vehicle on a lift, drop the old axle, mount the new axle and you will be ready to roll. It will use all the stock antilock brake sensors and everything.

The best part - the money you will save, you can put it towards the CTIS (nentral tire inflation system) option they have. This option is not an expensive option, either. You will be able to run your tires at 40 on the street and, without stoping, be able to drop the pressure as low as you want for off road.

THe entire cost of the setup will be pretty good... I don't know what Portal Tek is setting the retail cost at, however... I just know government and OME pricing, so I won't quote a price for them.

They will be making a large run of the JK setups, so it will keep their manufacturing costs down.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Found some bolt on portals.

Individual G3 Rear Portal Box
$1,764.00

http://www.portal-tek.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_ id=29&zenid=ab894dcb435805bf3e3cbfeb50681a39

Individual G3 Front Portal Box
$2,328.00

http://www.portal-tek.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_ id=14

Last edited by Robar; 03-11-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

may have already been answered, but I am lazy. Will this be street practical or will i be at 47,000 rpm to go 20 mph? Sory if this is a repeat or stupid question.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dwikto
may have already been answered, but I am lazy. Will this be street practical or will i be at 47,000 rpm to go 20 mph? Sory if this is a repeat or stupid question.
Just depends on the gearing you have in the portal. You could run a 1:1 ratio and have the same RPM, or you vould run something different, and get a lower or higher gearing depending on what you want.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

those are awesome
Old 03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Littlejon
Just depends on the gearing you have in the portal. You could run a 1:1 ratio and have the same RPM, or you vould run something different, and get a lower or higher gearing depending on what you want.
I guess I just assumed and didn't ask the question, but I thought that the gear ratio in the portal was not changeable. Even if it is, would it be more advantageous/easier to change out 4 portal gears instead of one (ok, two) diff gears?

I assumed you'd be runnin' the 2.06:1 in the portals and just put a 3:1 in the diffs for 40's or so. If the portal gears are simple to change, then you'd be able to run like 4.88's for excellent highway mileage and then swap out the portals to a lower ratio when you hit the trail, right?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that if you went up in size after you already had the portals on then it would be cheaper to regear the diffs since you only have two diffs compared to four portals.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:56 PM
JK Super Freak

The Portal-Tek concept sounds good; and they had a booth at EJS. They had a hub sitting there to look at. But even the company couldn't come up with a vehicle to display at their both. If this is a real product they should have had a vehicle on display.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chuck45
The Portal-Tek concept sounds good; and they had a booth at EJS. They had a hub sitting there to look at. But even the company couldn't come up with a vehicle to display at their both. If this is a real product they should have had a vehicle on display.
It's a real product...they were on my truck at SEMA but I couldn't make it to EJS.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Totenkopf
It's a real product...they were on my truck at SEMA but I couldn't make it to EJS.
I'm glad to hear that. But I believe my point is valid. If the company wants to pry dollars out of our pockets we need to be able to look at something. Especially as it is not cheap. Is there any info and or pics on your truck out there?

Quick Reply: portal-tek Axles