Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Portable air compressors

Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable air compressors

I am looking at the Viair 300p portable air compressor. I don't have the money for a OBA kit and I only go wheeling once every 2 months. Anybody have any experience with this compressor or any advice on another one? BTW, I have 33" Nittos.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 01-02-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have same issue here. I hear its shit, BUT the only really alternative to OBA. My buddy has OBA and a 1lb tank. It still took 15min to air up his 35's yesterday. There is a scuba tank, but then you need to pack that damn thing around.
The main issue I see is that there is really not enough room (without major alterations on 2012) to put on a second compressor. And NO I am not going to give up my AC!
I will probably get the Viair, nobody around here likes an unprepaired leech.
Maybe someone that knows something will add to this conversation.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:14 PM
JK Newbie

I finally got around to start my install of the ARB Tiwn
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-On-Board...2-P21341.aspx#
It's going under the frt passenger seat.
I installed the ARB lockers a month ago...
Later on I'll install a 2.5 gal tank...long and narrow possibly along the top of the rollbar..?
I think I give maybe $450 for the ARB Twin?
I ran a compressor under the hood of my TJ, the 2012's are tight!! So I'm hoping this will do the job without frustration?

Gene
Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

If I remember, when I first joined this forum and started to read about all the mods, there was a mod to pu the compressor inside the body panel behind the rear brake lights? You can run one there and may even fit 2....
Old 01-02-2012, 03:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the amount you wheel and the price. Harbor freight has a decent air compressor for $65. It can easily fill up my stock rubi tires to 37psi without overheating. Plus you can get a 2yr exchange/return no questions asked for $10. Just a suggestion if your on a tight budget.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Croce
For the amount you wheel and the price. Harbor freight has a decent air compressor for $65. It can easily fill up my stock rubi tires to 37psi without overheating. Plus you can get a 2yr exchange/return no questions asked for $10. Just a suggestion if your on a tight budget.
I have this one as well, and have used it on my metric 33"s when I wheeled it. I've just upgraded to 35"s, so I've upgraded to OBA so I won't kill the portable (plus I got beadlocks, so with the larger tire and lower pressure, I figured it was time).

Quick Reply: Portable air compressors