Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel

Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to test the honda out first. I had a diesel before this jeep 04 F350 Powerstroke loved it. I wander if they could put a caterrpillar in it instead.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:59 PM
JK Freak

Since Chrysler has jumped into bed with Nissan, I doubt that Honda would supply the diesel for the wrangler. Nissan is going to make sub-compacts and mid sized vehicles which will be re-badged as Chryslers.

...Chrysler LLC and Nissan Motor Co. are in talks over an agreement to jointly produce midsize cars, according to a published report.

Chrysler is discussing an agreement with Nissan under which the Japanese automaker would produce midsize sedans that Chrysler would sell in the U.S. under its own brand, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday, citing people familiar with the discussions.

Nissan spokesman Fred Standish noted that the two companies have announced partnerships earlier this year, but he declined to comment further.

"We said then, and we're saying now, that we're continuing to explore opportunities to work with Chrysler, but we don't have anything to announce right now," Standish told The Associated Press.

Nissan spokeswoman Pauline Kee in Tokyo said the report was speculation, and a Chrysler spokesman declined to comment.

Earlier this year, the automakers announced two tie-ups in a growing partnership between them. In January, they announced a deal in which Nissan would build small cars for Chrysler to sell in South America. The car will go on sale in 2009 and be based on Nissan's Versa small car, Standish said.

In April, the automakers said Nissan will make a new small car designed by Chrysler, while Chrysler will make a full-size pickup truck designed by Nissan.

Both products will be sold in North America, and the new Chrysler subcompact will also be sold in Europe and other global markets starting in 2010. The Chrysler small car will be made at a Nissan plant in Japan, while Chrysler will make the pickup truck at its plant in Mexico, to go on sale in 2011.

The growing partnership comes as Chrysler is working to expand its presence abroad as it grapples with a deteriorating auto market in the U.S., brought on by a weak economy and an abrupt shift in demand away from trucks and sport utility vehicles toward more fuel-efficient cars.

Chrysler's sales are down 23 percent so far this year, the worst drop of any major automaker, and it has stopped offering leases through its financial arm because of falling truck and SUV values. Cerberus Capital Management LP, the private equity firm that bought 80.1 percent of Chrysler from the former DaimlerChrysler AG a year ago this week, has been struggling to bring the company back to profitability.

Last edited by ROKLIMO; 08-07-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeep4life
Thanks derff96963....honda just blows a** They will sell you a hybrid without telling you that if you own it 10 years you will have to replace the battery which will set you back 7000$ ....honda can just go die as far as car companys go
You had a Honda hybrid for 10 years and this happened? That sounds to me like the dealer should have told you that maybe, but maybe you should do research before you buy a car. I notice most of you talking shit about Hondas don't own one. It is "my friend this", "when I worked at parts-hut that", "My cousin I used to date had one her Nana gave her". Maybe that happened and they had problems. But maybe they didn't tell you the car never got serviced, had 250k miles on it, and was on a salvage title.

I own a 2004 Honda Accord coupe. My G/F drives it about 4o-50 miles a day. It has been in the shop for warranty work less since new than my Jeep has in 4 months. I love my Jeep, but if a Honda can hold up to her without issues it is a fine machine. I would pick a Honda diesel over my caravan-pusher any day.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 08-08-2008 at 06:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

by honda hybrid, are people meaning the Prius?!?!

as if so it was only released in the majority of the world in 2002 (onl as test units not priginally for sale), with most countries not getting proper sale supplies till 2004

therefore how on earth could someone have a 10yr old one!!??
Old 08-09-2008, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
You had a Honda hybrid for 10 years and this happened? That sounds to me like the dealer should have told you that maybe, but maybe you should do research before you buy a car. I notice most of you talking shit about Hondas don't own one. It is "my friend this", "when I worked at parts-hut that", "My cousin I used to date had one her Nana gave her". Maybe that happened and they had problems. But maybe they didn't tell you the car never got serviced, had 250k miles on it, and was on a salvage title.

I own a 2004 Honda Accord coupe. My G/F drives it about 4o-50 miles a day. It has been in the shop for warranty work less since new than my Jeep has in 4 months. I love my Jeep, but if a Honda can hold up to her without issues it is a fine machine. I would pick a Honda diesel over my caravan-pusher any day.

Originally Posted by x5tuu
by honda hybrid, are people meaning the Prius?!?!

as if so it was only released in the majority of the world in 2002 (onl as test units not priginally for sale), with most countries not getting proper sale supplies till 2004

therefore how on earth could someone have a 10yr old one!!??
the Prius is a Toyota, not a Honda....Honda had the Insight that was a hybrid, and you can get a Civic and Accord in a hybrid also.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Junkie

honda sucks
obviously! my honda only has 350,000 miles... geez... completely unacceptable
Old 08-13-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKX

............................................::rotf lmao2:
Old 08-13-2008, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07JKX

Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks derff96963....honda just blows a** They will sell you a hybrid without telling you that if you own it 10 years you will have to replace the battery which will set you back 7000$ ....honda can just go die as far as car companys go

The cost of a Honda hybrid battery is actually about $3000 and they come with an 8 year/80,000 mile warranty. A non-educated salesman not telling you what a new one cost, is not Honda's fault. Is it their fault that you didn't ask? I'm not defending them, as I'd never own one of the Hybrids, but at least get your facts right. I have worked for a couple of national parts chains also, and I have never ran into what you are talking about, however if you worked at one of the major RETAIL chains, then i'd understand, most, MOST, people that go in those(Autozone, Advance, etc.) have no clue what they are looking for anyway.

Apart from transmission problems, Honda has no real issues and the Jap crap argument is null anyway since most Honda's are designed AND built in the U.S. now. The Insight, S2000, Civic SI and Mugen edition, and very few Accords (that I see) are about the only ones built in Japan anymore.

Originally Posted by JK-KJ

the Prius is a Toyota, not a Honda....Honda had the Insight that was a hybrid, and you can get a Civic and Accord in a hybrid also.

The Accord Hybrid is gone. It was a pointless performance oriented/not fuel saving hybrid that couldn't justify the extra cost over a normal Accord.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 08-13-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derff96963
I used to work at a national Auto parts chain. I could not even begin to tell you all the things I have seen and heard. If I was given one or won one in a raffle I would immediately sell it and buy a real vehicle.

I think the thing is years ago they were decent cars. Back in the late 80's early 90's. They were reliable because they were simple. Not really much to go wrong. There was however a stigma about buying one since it was a foreign made car. So owner had to say something to justify owning one so "There are ultra Reliable" That has stuck however it could not be farther from the truth. I have had many people lie in front of me. I would be ringing up someones order and a friends of theirs would walk in. The friend would say something like hey with that POS you must be here all the time. The person would reply not its been great me just getting some oil. The truth was that person was in the store about once a week trying to buy "Dealer only" parts. That scenario is just one of many.

Any don't use the I had one that went 300,000 miles. A lot of cars can do they. A friend just lost a 93 Saturn (made by GM) with 250,000 miles on it. He was rear ended and with that mileage they totaled it. They only thing ever replaced on that car was three Alternators, 4 batteries and a water pump. People that own Honda's and Toyota's like I said don't tell the truth and if that type of person buy a Jeep of another American brand and one thing goes wrong they yell it from the mountaintops and tell everyone.

Its just not right....
I can confirm that... I've got an 85 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel... It had 175000 on it before it needed any replacement parts... then it sat in a yard at a relatives house for 3 months and so far its got 190k and ive had to replace the water pump and the AC isnt as strong as it used to be. The whole oh my Honda got 350k isnt Honda specific... It applies to any well-made, well-maintained vehicle. Oh and I'd probably do the Honda power plant... I wouldn't swap with what I got... I'm going for an I6 first, but if i was going to buy a new one I'd definitely consider it.

Quick Reply: Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel