Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel

Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by x5tuu
its very odd that ppl are claiming that Honda are not reliable, but considering they top the UK JD Power surveys year in year out for reliability, service costs, dealer service levels, etc... this would be very much contrary to this!

Jap cars have impecable records here, and for all the Good Reasons, much moreso than our German cousins, as they have slipped off the top over recent years

im not being funny but working for an auto parts chain you will only ever hear the bad cases in the main part due to the nature of your work surely?!? or am i being naive here??
I have had 1 out of the 3 hondas I own not live up to my reliability expectations. it was a 99 Accord coupe with an automatic transmission. The transmission went out not once but 3 times within 120k. I sold it after the 3rd one was put in. I haven't ever had problems with a standard. I just know that I will never buy an automatic or a standard with SH ever again.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by High-Roller
I have had 1 out of the 3 hondas I own not live up to my reliability expectations. it was a 99 Accord coupe with an automatic transmission. The transmission went out not once but 3 times within 120k. I sold it after the 3rd one was put in. I haven't ever had problems with a standard. I just know that I will never buy an automatic or a standard with SH ever again.
I've owned 2 Acuras and had transmission problems after the warranty expired .
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda is the best engine manufacturer bar none. I once read an article where one of the Honda executives said something like, "We are not a car company, we are an engine engineering company that happens to have divisions that manufacturer cars, motorcycles, watercraft, quads, lawn mowers, generators, etc).

I've owned 2 hondas and they were superb vehicles with wonderful engines (Civic Si and S2000). The power, throttle response and fuel economy on both were far superior than any other manufacturer's vehicles I've ever owned.

My friend (a die hard, never buy Japanese guy) bought a Saturn Vue when they were putting the Honda motors in them. He couldn't do anything but rave about how great the powertrain in the Vue was. I went with him when he test drove it. He originally wanted the front-wheel drive version. We took it for the test drive and he could spin the tires going 40 mph. He ended up getting the AWD version because he said, "My wife will burn the tires off the front-wheel drive version 3 months"

The sales guy that sold it to him told him they had a lot of GM employees (this is the Detroit area) come in and buy Vue's based on the fact that it had the Honda drivetrain.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In a GEORGIA minute. That's way faster than a NY minute.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I would not but another diesel ever again. Long story but. I've had a very very bad experiance with one here in NE. Also I wasn't impressed with the diesel offroad either. Had lots of mods and still lacking in power. You think these 3.8's are rough on the road... you should try a diesel in the mud and sand. Those wheels stop turning when in low traction. Good luck getting them spinning again. turbo lag sucks. Anywho... i'm ranting a little. sorry...

no not interested in a diesel. Jeep... give us a bigger 6
Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

How about a 4.5 L Duramax with a Allison transmission?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 PM
JK Newbie

I have NO interest in a diesel of any kind or make.

My wife had a Honda Civic. It pretty much died at 150,000 miles with a warped head. It had a number of problems before it got there too such as bad distributor and water pump and A/C. Additionally it ate tires like a pitbull on a bone. My mechanic said to get rid of it as it would cost more to fix than the vehicle was worth. It did pull 35 MPG back and forth to work but overall I was not impressed with the so called Honda reliability. I always thought they were good for 200,000 to 300,000 miles.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by johnnyd
just say no to duramax!!!

if they do want one, get it from vw
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by johnnyd
HA I'd be ALL OVER that one!!!!! But I also LOVE Chevy too (and that's gonna be my tow rig but the 6.6 DMAX)
Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I had an 04 chevy Silverado with the 6.6 duramax LLY. I hated it. Worst truck I ever owned. I wish I still had my 96 chevy.

Quick Reply: Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel