Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel

Old 08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything would be better then the 3.8 ! I refuse to buy a JK until they offer a better engine.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by x5tuu
its very odd that ppl are claiming that Honda are not reliable, but considering they top the UK JD Power surveys year in year out for reliability, service costs, dealer service levels, etc... this would be very much contrary to this!

Jap cars have impecable records here, and for all the Good Reasons, much moreso than our German cousins, as they have slipped off the top over recent years

im not being funny but working for an auto parts chain you will only ever hear the bad cases in the main part due to the nature of your work surely?!? or am i being naive here??
You cannot take anything Consumer reports, JD, mototrend, etc. as being 100% true. They are not lying but not telling the whole true is not right either.

For example Consumer reports rates thier car list by polling thier readers. Its not hard data its just someone opinion of how good their car is. Now like I said if you are one that has bought one you are going to defend your decision and say its great to make you feel better about your choice. Now I am not saying they are bad cars. However while the reliability of US automakes has been increasing, Honda and Toyota have been falling since the mid 90's.

My second and major reason for not buying one is the price and availability of parts. If I am working on my vehicle and realize I need a part sunday afternoon I want to be able to go to the nearest parts store and get it. Once a vehicle is 5 years or so old you can usually get just about everything you need for a domestic at your average parts store. For the Rest IF and its a big if they can even order the parts( won't likely be in stock) you need it will usually be twice the price. Most parts other than breaks or basic sensors will be Dealer only parts and they charge you an arm and a leg.

I like to work on my own vehicles and keep them for longer than 5 years so I like to be able to get the parts.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Out of curiosity, where did this idea come from??? using a Honda motor????

NOW as long as it's reliable, gives good tq and hp, is not $$$$, and gets decent too good milage HELL YEAH SIGN ME UP.

I do not care if it's GM, MB, the ones that are in the euro ones now... or what ever... I just want something that's got a nice set of balls when I hit the accelerator. I HATED that in our WJ with the 4.0, in a panic situation it would have a hard time getting out of it's own way.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by derff96963
I don't really care if you think it doesn't suck. I think they do and I will NEVER buy one or anything associated to it.
Thanks derff96963....honda just blows a** They will sell you a hybrid without telling you that if you own it 10 years you will have to replace the battery which will set you back 7000$ ....honda can just go die as far as car companys go
Old 08-04-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

BTW....The reason people think Jap Cars are more reliable

When a foreign automotive company has a recall they just send out letters in the mail where as US Auto companys take out pages to get every owner to come in...they dont try to hide it like the foreign market does....my friend bought a mazdaspeed 3 and its had 5 recalls allready....thats what you get for buying that crap!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep4life
honda sucks
yup, i would choose the 3.8 over any japanese POS engine any day
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

its quite naive to lump all jap engines as a "POS"' - and hardly a constructive argument or critisism

i had an RX8 until recently and yeah it had recalls against it and some were for silly little things, items that are not covered by recalls from other non jap manufacturers, showing to me and anyone else with half a brain that they are not only concerned with future legal bills arising from incidents but also customer satisfaction to ensure all ppl have the best experience and that all faults are ironed out, regardless of cost to them
Old 08-04-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

its quite naive to lump all jap engines as a "POS"' - and hardly a constructive argument or critisism

i had an RX8 until recently and yeah it had recalls against it and some were for silly little things, items that are not covered by recalls from other non jap manufacturers, showing to me and anyone else with half a brain that they are not only concerned with future legal bills arising from incidents but also customer satisfaction to ensure all ppl have the best experience and that all faults are ironed out, regardless of cost to them
i take that back, Mazda has a pretty cool engine, the rotory(is that what its called?)engine that i think was in your RX8 is sweet.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

it is a "Wankle" engine, 2x 1.3L rotors outputting 231bhp, but most power is in the 6000-9000rppm bracket

thinking of buying another to be honest! lol!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

i
More ignorance than naivety, i'd say.......

Quick Reply: Poll: would you buy a Wranlger with a Honda 3.5 Vtec Diesel